Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What will you use on Mars 2018?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 05/01/2018 at 10:42, GavStar said:

I’m in the process of arranging a trip to tenerife specifically for viewing Mars in the summer. However I’d also want to view DSOs etc given the hopefully good skies.

My current intention is to take my tv85 with me. However the aperture may be a bit limited for mars. So for £250 I could get a 127 skywatcher skymax which I think should be ok for hand luggage.

Best view of Mars I've ever had was in Tenerife Gavin, through a distinctly un-planetary telescope - an Equinox 80ED. Even though I've observed Mars with a C8, Mak 4" and Tak FC-100 many times from the UK, nothing's come close to that night in the Canaries two years ago where the detail (also of Saturn) at 170x was breathtaking. Think I was using a Nagler zoom. If you get the right atmospheric conditions, I can imagine you'd be able to take magnification up to silly levels - Peter Drew will know more about that as a regular visitor.

As far as taking your Tak abroad, I'd certainly recommend it, but you do have to be very careful and precise about how you pack it and travel with it. The margins are tight. But am sure the rewards would be worth it.

On 05/01/2018 at 15:30, GavStar said:

Thanks Stu, and given you had a Mak, you wouldn’t suggest getting the 127?

I had 127, and you would not like it on Veil, the view is too narrow (you indicated you want to see some Veil, too.

Is there a possibility to rent a scope on Tenerife? 

By the way, how long is the DC100? No way to unscrew objective?

6 minutes ago, BGazing said:

By the way, how long is the DC100? No way to unscrew objective?

With the dewshield and focuser removed it is within limits. Now way that I have found to unscrew the objective.

I have a pelicase 1510 which will go onboard but is very heavy. I might possibly put the scope in the hold in that, carefully wrapped inside.

I did say 'possibly!' ;) 

10 minutes ago, BGazing said:

Awwww...makes that 71FL Borg upgrade into 89ED all the more enticing.

Taks are Taks, but you can fold Borgs any way you want...

Yes, I'm intrigued about these Borge :) 

I had a Tak FC-76DC before, with a split tube which was very portable, took that a few places abroad with me on holiday. Lovely sharp optics, really nice. I do miss it as the FC-100 you have to think about a lot more before taking anywhere. Worth it for the optics, but there have been times it has been possible but too much hassle.

Just now, GavStar said:

The Baader 95mm travel companion looks rather nice as a portable and versatile scope...but expensive and not easy to get

Indeed, that's certainly a lovely option but pricey as you say. Not many around.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Yes, I'm intrigued about these Borge :) 

I had a Tak FC-76DC before, with a split tube which was very portable, took that a few places abroad with me on holiday. Lovely sharp optics, really nice. I do miss it as the FC-100 you have to think about a lot more before taking anywhere. Worth it for the optics, but there have been times it has been possible but too much hassle.

yeah, there is something to be said for ultraportability. borg 107 is certainly feasible for air travel. 89ED just as well. it's not 100 tak but better than binos. been pondering getting that 89 objective just so that i could switch on demand, but don't know how f6.7 picture compares to f.5.6 fluorite. i guess the same, except for some extra magnification and aperture.

1 minute ago, GavStar said:

The Baader 95mm travel companion looks rather nice as a portable and versatile scope...but expensive and not easy to get

those are apparently lovely, but the waiting list is so long that they are not taking orders anymore...

Archived