SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mirror re-coating

Having decided to send my 12.5 mirrors to Orion for re-coating, I would be grateful for any advice on packaging (beyond the obvious), courier to use for best handling and how long Orion on average takes to do a job. The primary mirror is heavy being 1980s Pyrex. 

I might need to have a larger secondary mirror as swapping my 36.4mm focuser for a 2.5 (model to be decided still). In which case maybe just buying larger & not having the current one re-coated might be better? ?

I would be tempted to ask Orion for advice on this and they will undoubtedly have a courier they use, who you would hope could be trusted. Having said that...is any commercial courier to be trusted to handle goods with care these days? I run a small business and I'm often amazed at how some packages arrive with us looking like they have been kicked around a warehouse.:hmh:

Steve

At least double boxed, that way they have to wreck 2 boxes to get at the mirror itself. Many couriers will not insure glass so it could be a case of "at your risk".

Check the cost as if you have the time available then M5-M6 looks a straight steady drive to OOUK, guess 160 miles each way, depending on driving and car say £30-35. Also could give you the chance for them to look and it and discuss anything with you.

4 hours ago, ronin said:

At least double boxed, that way they have to wreck 2 boxes to get at the mirror itself. Many couriers will not insure glass so it could be a case of "at your risk".

Check the cost as if you have the time available then M5-M6 looks a straight steady drive to OOUK, guess 160 miles each way, depending on driving and car say £30-35. Also could give you the chance for them to look and it and discuss anything with you.

Car does 30mpg so cheaper to pack and mail. 

I would make a sturdy box that would survive pretty much anything (Thick marine ply). Then I would put the mirror in the box and drive it up to OOUK myself. That way you can hand it over to a real person and hold them accountable for the safe keeping and timely completion of the recoating of your mirror. They may be a very useful contact if they get busy.

I have such a box for transporting the mirror in its cell. It is a great comfort to know that the mirror is well protected. 

Paul

What is it about the mirror that suggests to you re coating is required?.     It is surprising how they can perform well, even with a few stains.   I expect you have had a good look at the surface if you have made the decision to re coat.     A good clean may suffice if there are no serious blemishes.       Just trying to save you money. ?

21 hours ago, barkis said:

What is it about the mirror that suggests to you re coating is required?.     It is surprising how they can perform well, even with a few stains.   I expect you have had a good look at the surface if you have made the decision to re coat.     A good clean may suffice if there are no serious blemishes.       Just trying to save you money. ?

Velvety with concrete dust. Is there a thread on cleaning mirrors?

http://www.scientificmirrors.co.uk/

Are as best I am aware the only others. No idea what they are like, but you get good and bad tales of everyone. Also Olly's post concerns a mirror, you already have the mirror all you want is them to clean it of the existing Aluminium and then resilver and overcoat.

Galvoptics used to resilver but it seems they have pulled out of the market. Althoiugh an email asking them about their present position cannot harm.

I once had my primary mirror sent to orion optics back in 2004 to be silvered I wrapped my mirror for it's virgin coat wrapped in surgical cotton wool the type used for plaster casting a broken arm or leg then wrapped in cardboard to protect that then bubblewrap and finished with tape this was then put in a cardboard box with polystyrene chips and yet more tape to seal the box and sent via RM. fingers crossed all went well but that was then. mirror was sent back believably the same way.. and survived the trip to Manchester albeit OO are in staffs I think, so a short journey

good luck with yours

Are Vacuum Coatings still in existence. Not heard much about them for some time now.

Concrete dust? how did that get on to the mirror?   The cleaning process is not a difficult one, so if you decide to do it, and need advised, just say so in this thread, and the ways and means will be forthcoming.      Pyrex makes a fine  objective, and not so reactive temperature wise.   How fast is your 12.5 by the way, as you said you were changing your secondary of 1.5" for a 2.5", unless I've misunderstood you.?

1 hour ago, barkis said:

Are Vacuum Coatings still in existence. Not heard much about them for some time now.

Concrete dust? how did that get on to the mirror?   The cleaning process is not a difficult one, so if you decide to do it, and need advised, just say so in this thread, and the ways and means will be forthcoming.      Pyrex makes a fine  objective, and not so reactive temperature wise.   How fast is your 12.5 by the way, as you said you were changing your secondary of 1.5" for a 2.5", unless I've misunderstood you.?

I believe the speed is f5 to f6. Fl 1250mm from memory. Tube is over 5 feet long, on the mount the vertical height at least 5ft 6ins. 

Do I need a new secondary for a 2.5in focuser.

pdf link shows how Dark Stars are, nothing to do with me beyond inspiraton.

Renovating_10_inch_Dark_Star_Dobsonian_Telescope_2012-12-16.pdf

8 hours ago, ronin said:

http://www.scientificmirrors.co.uk/

Also Olly's post concerns a mirror, you already have the mirror all you want is them to clean it of the existing Aluminium and then resilver and overcoat.

No, the relevant part came at the end regarding the delivery of the mirror to OO, It was broken somewhere along the line. That's why it might be better to hand deliver.

Olly

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Islander said:

I've used Scientific Mirrors/Vacuum Coatings in the past and found them to provide a quality service and be very helpful indeed.  I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. 

http://www.scientificmirrors.co.uk/vcsm-Aluminising.html

They're worth giving a call. :)

Many thanks. An affordable train journey to hand deliver my mirrors. :headbang:

Archived