Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Unexpected hour out without clouds!

alanjgreen

Viewing report from 15th Sept.
Equipment: 20" Dobsonian

I got an unexpected session outside last night after what seems like 2 weeks of solid clouds.

Its been so long that I was not expecting the sky to be so dark before 11pm ...

When I peeped outside the milky way was big and bright & wide across the sky, the weather app suggested I may get a hour of so before the clouds returned so I got changed and headed down to the "shed".

The scope was not cooled - I usually have the fans on for a couple of hours but not tonight!

Quick collimation check with the Glatter laser and Tublug, then slide back the roof.

I setup the Nexus push-to with a couple of quick bright stars (I use the Ethos10 to setup the Nexus which gives x200 in my dob) then pushed to M31 to test the alignment.

It was on the edge of the FOV. Switched to the Ethos21 and I could easily see the 2 very dark lanes around the left side. I managed to trace the lanes up to the top and I could see the top most point of the galaxy (seems to be this is not visible all the time).

Anyway, onto the nebulas...

I have spend the last 2 months with the Veil, Crescent, North American & Cocoon as the main targets to be revisited. Not easy when the skys are not dark! All viewed with Astronomik O3 filter.

I have had great views of the Veil with the dob - my best ever views - and the detail available is just incredible. If I I could have an Ethos 40mm so I could get more in the FOV :(

The North American & Pelican have also been improved by the big dob.

Great views of the Crescent were had at the last new moon and I was surprised by its size, finding that x100 or x150 was plenty. The dob has not let me down on this target.

The Cocoon has been more of a challenge. I have been using an Astronomik Hb filter and have had some success, I have seen some nebulosity but it is a real challenge to see anything resembling the images!

Anyway, back to last night. We are now into September so my targets have changed to Elephants Trunk, Cave & Iris. Using Astronomik O3 filter.

Elephants trunk - In the E21 I located the triple star in the centre of the nebula and then let the nebula drift across the view until my eye picked up the black area of the trunk. I was able to trace around the inner trunk pretty easily but the outer areas were more difficult. I shall return again ...

Cave - I tried this 2 weeks ago and got nothing but there it was straight away, I could trace out a right angled area of nebula quite easily. It was a bigger nebula than I expected and I felt that I could map out a dark area surrounded by on two sides by bright nebula and underneath by a finer fainter nebulous region.

The clouds rolled in ... and out again.

I wanted to view the fireworks galaxy to see in the supernove had gone (it had) and also view NGC6824 which has a new supernova close in. I easily spotted 6824, it was smal and bright but I was not able to split the core from the SN. I tried x100, x150 & x200. The SN was probably making the galaxy easier to see due to the extra brightness but I will need to come back and look again...

The clouds rolled in ... and stayed :(

But, I got an unpected start to nebula season and I will be hoping to get back again and again over the next 6 weeks to build on my initial observations.

Let me know if you have similar plans or alternate nebula targets for the coming weeks?

Alan

Well, that was a great report, and a big dob can show some amazing detail with or with out filters. we also was blessed with some out standing sky`s with the milky way running from Cassiopeia through Cygnus down to Aquila. 

The Cats eye nebula[ngc 6543] in Draco showed a little brighter to one side at x138 and a little shade of green.

The Iris nebula [ngc 7023] in Cepheus has always been a challenge but with an OH111 filter I think I napped it also using a Hyperion aspheric 31mm E.P giving a magnification of x71.

The dumbbell nebula [m27] in Vulpecula against the backdrop of the milky way, mind blowing. 

The telescope was a 9.25 sct and a Baader Hyperion 17mm e.p [x138] and a Hyperion Aaspheric 2 inch 31mm e.p giving a 72 degree field of view with a 2 inch diagonal, in it`s little observertory. 

Des

Good report, nice to have an unexpected session out particularly considering the extent of cloud lately. I have a list of specific nebulae associated targets to explore for Cygnus, Cepheus and Cassiopeia that will require a dark-sky trip out, with a quiet few days in terms of work commitments it ought to be something to look forward to but for the weather forecast....  

Archived