Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Flaring AR 2673 on the limb! 76 frame animation

Iainp

Lucky me, a hour of sun this morning! Here's 2673 flaring over the hour with a 15 minute break in the middle. 76 x 25 seconds of data. I processed it twice, once to show surface detail, the second to emphasise the flare, so the gif is 152 frames long. Hope it loads ok.

Iain 

9gifcom.gif

Thanks Charl, yes, on full screen with the 3X barlow ,I could actually watch it grow and shrink in real time! I went for 25 second per recording as seeing was quite poor, but that was too long by far with such a fast moving and changing spike.

1 minute ago, PhotoGav said:

How long did the processing take?! What kit are you using?

Thanks again guys. Glad you grabbed it too John ,look forward to your images. Gav, using batch processing with AS!2, ImPPG and GIMP it takes very little time! I set up AS!2 and it did the 76 sets in about 30 minutes, then with ImPPG and GIMP, I was done in about 10 minutes. 

Iain

3 minutes ago, Iainp said:

Thanks again guys. Glad you grabbed it too John ,look forward to your images. Gav, using batch processing with AS!2, ImPPG and GIMP it takes very little time! I set up AS!2 and it did the 76 sets in about 30 minutes, then with ImPPG and GIMP, I was done in about 10 minutes. 

Iain

Thank you for the info re. kit and processing. Impressive results! Do you not use PiPP at all? My work flow is currently PiPP > AS!2 (I tried AS!3 yesterday, but didn't get such good results) > ImPPG > Photoshop. Seems to work well, but I do wonder what PiPP is really doing and if it is even necessary. My other question is what mono camera would be best for solar imaging, but that is definitely the stuff of a separate thread!

Your animation has inspired me to a new challenge, so thank you. It is also just amazing to see the Sun in action.

I literally had about two minutes to go whilst the kids were having lunch/watching tv. The joys of solar viewing with a grab and go setup.

There is so much going on with prominences of all shapes and sizes!

Your animation is superb as usual  

Cheers! Gav, do give the animations a go if you haven't before. Once the workflow is set up, it's almost as easy as a single image processing.  I've not used PiPP for many years now, only because I find I get all I need (or think I need!) with the current set up. I use GIMP just because I'm used to it now, though you need a plugin to do batch processing so if you have photoshop it should be easier still. As you probably know, if you drag all the clips into the "Open"  box in AS!2 it processes everything in one go, then the magic of ImPPG makes short work of batch processing and aligning images, then I use BIMP (GIMP plugin) to colour all the images in one go, then open them again as layers and save as a gif. Done! 

46 minutes ago, Iainp said:

Cheers! Gav, do give the animations a go if you haven't before. Once the workflow is set up, it's almost as easy as a single image processing.  I've not used PiPP for many years now, only because I find I get all I need (or think I need!) with the current set up. I use GIMP just because I'm used to it now, though you need a plugin to do batch processing so if you have photoshop it should be easier still. As you probably know, if you drag all the clips into the "Open"  box in AS!2 it processes everything in one go, then the magic of ImPPG makes short work of batch processing and aligning images, then I use BIMP (GIMP plugin) to colour all the images in one go, then open them again as layers and save as a gif. Done! 

Excellent, thank you for the info. 

51 minutes ago, Subdeo said:

What kind of telescope and filter did you use? My solar filter doesn't show any flares, limb or otherwise. I just see the orange ball with sunspots.

Thanks Subdeo, the Lunt 80mm is a Hydrogen Alpha scope, ie it only lets through a very narrow bandwidth, allowing you to see this kind of detail.

Iain 

Archived