Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Do you have a jinxed target?

swag72

I wonder if there are any others out there that would consider that they have a target (be it visual or imaging) that is jinxed......

I have...... It's NGC896 which in polite company I refer to the 'rude end' and I know that @ollypenrice fondly calls it the 'Members member'.

Last year I tried to capture it in isolation at a longer focal length and regardless of what i did the guiding settled on a hot pixel..... I set the pixel in PHD as a hot pixel,  I redid  my darks..... I just had to accept that there was no way I was going to get it last year. So this year at a slightly shorter focal length I decided that I'd probably stand more luck.... Nope...... Focus messes up, clouds roll in and guiding plays up.

It seems that whatever I do with this target, I am jinxed and that's that!!! 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know what you mean.  The number of times I've gone out at night looking for .....

You wouldn't believe the number of guiding errors I have had in relation to .....

I quite agree - I too find NGC 896 an especially hard .....

OK.  I give up.  I cannot draft a response without getting myself into trouble.  One has to be especially careful about what one writes these days.  It seems the old adage is true - the pen is truly mightier than the ... [damn: there I go again.......]

11 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

And we definitely won't mention NGC896's connection to the heart....

So lust, though to a radiant angel linked, 

Will sate itself in a celestial bed.

But soft, methinks I scent the morning air!

Brief let me be...

(We can mention anything at all so long as we do it by quoting Shakespeare... Then we're being highbrow.)

Olly

PS, Sara, I actually call it the Member's Nebula. This is a very tenuous nod towards Brooklands race track and 'The Members' Banking.' As well as a nod in a different direction!

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

PS, Sara, I actually call it the Member's Nebula. This is a very tenuous nod towards Brooklands race track and 'The Members' Banking.' As well as a nod in a different direction!

Woops  - Sorry for the misquote....... but I think that Members member sounds rather ..... apt :D 

4 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Being serious for once, the Crescent nebula seems to have it in for me. Lots of 'almost' images.

My jinx on this target was that I lost my high res image and all its files. However, I just found them again after over a year. Somehow I'd mis-clicked them into a meaningless folder and I'd failed to find them in a search because of a typo in the title. Doh.

Olly

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

So lust, though to a radiant angel linked, 

Will sate itself in a celestial bed.

But soft, methinks I scent the morning air!

Brief let me be...

(We can mention anything at all so long as we do it by quoting Shakespeare... Then we're being highbrow.)

Olly

Isn't 'Hamlet' a slang term for an .... ahem ... unmentionalble .....  ?  

5 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Of all the targets ive set out to observe,Mars eludes me. I can find it and see it as a tiny redish/orange disc. Only ever caught a fleeting glimpse of detail once.

The same for me. During four decades, just a handful of occasions, when Mars showed a real detailed view, even in bigger scopes. Almost always, I was disappointed, and recalled Kepler's dictum, who quoted Plinius: "Mars is a star, that defies observation" (though with reference to the difficulties, calculating it's orbit).

Stephan

After checking some images on google I get it,I don't think I can look at the heart nebula in the same way anymore???.As for me it's my namesake and the hh though aperture is going to be against me as well as everything else we all complain about.

2 hours ago, triton1 said:

After checking some images on google I get it,I don't think I can look at the heart nebula in the same way anymore???.As for me it's my namesake and the hh though aperture is going to be against me as well as everything else we all complain about.

Me neither.

williams.jpg

NGC1365 for me.. I always seem to have more than the usual guiding issue with this galaxy. I did manage to eventually get something at 2000mm but still the usable sub could was way lower then what I usually get while imaging any other deep space object.

The Pacman has been my bogie, mainly due to the high dec making field rotation a real problem, which guiding won't cure.

I may have another go with the DDM mount which is better aligned.

Archived