Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newbie from Montreal Canada

Prester John

Hey all New member here. Been wanting a proper telescope for a long time now, i used to own a 3 or 4 inch cheepie that i got for free with visa points and had a great time with it. But that was like 10-12 years ago. I found this beauty for sale used online and jumped on it. Its a Meade 12" Lightbridge with collimator, an Explore scientific 2x barlow lense, Meade 26mm 2" QX wide angle eye piece (original?), and 3 1.25" eye pieces all Meade brand (25, 12, 9 mm) which i dont think came with the scope upon purchase.

The base was modified with wheels so that it would be smoother (it seems to be plenty smooth to me but i dont know how it felt originally) and counter weights have been added so it no longer droops when you stop moving the telescope to observe (which seems to be working as original owner intended). But i wont know if it all works perfectly until i take it out for the first time, and its very cloudy ATM. I checked collimation and the laser hits about 1/4 inch off center of mirror so ill attack that tomorrow. 

I will be observing about 45 minute drive out of Montreal at my In-laws cottage. My residence in the city has pretty bad light pollution as i live on a busy intersection but im sure Lunar and planet views will be sort of OK lol.

Cheers

IMG_0364.JPG

IMG_0366.JPG

Wow looks like you're not messing about! Lovely scope, I wouldn't worry about LP too much. In my limited experience I think light pollution should be treated in a way that reminds me of this old fishing quote; "a bad days fishing is better than a good day at the office"!

Hello and a very warm welcome to the community, you should have lot's of fun with your 

new set up, it looks the part, looking forward to your first light report.

Clear Sky's.

Don't get too hung up on the Light Pollution. I have observed Vega at sort of High Noon. The University here had an open day and for "fun" they aimed a scope at where Vega should be during the day. And there is was shining away happily. Now if you can actually see Vega at what was 12:30 pm (UTC) I guess you can see a lot more then led to believe.

You will also notice that people say it is "better" at a dark site, not that it is "impossible" at a light polluted one.

Thanks all, tonight is suposed to be a very clear night here in montreal so ill be out tonight. Hopefully you guys are right on light pollution. I may have to put up some tarps to block street lights and passing car lights.

I paid 500CAD$ (about 350USD$??) for the whole kit, without a live trial so hopefully all goes well. Cheers all

• 2 weeks later...

Archived