NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Quark still in customs

Davey-T

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what a perlava Dave, I just carnt see what there problem is mate, thay seam to have no problem with letting drugs through qwickly, there must be a way to complain about them, there like a bag of ferrets. sorry to hear how there treating you quark. charl.

I had exactly the same problem last time, the fact that there's no duty to seems to confuse them, like it's some sort of scam that they can't quite figure out.

The last time they held onto it for 5 weeks then sent a message saying if I didn't claim it soon they would return it to Daystar :icon_scratch:

Dave

I'm in the process of sharing a similar experience to yourself Dave.  I had sent my Quark Chromo back to Daystar for an under warranty repair, no problems shipping it out but on the return leg HMRC have just extorted £56 from me before they would let me collect it from Parcel Force.  I've paid it just to get my Quark back and have just sent off a bor286 appeal form with a pile of evidence to try and get my cash back.  It should be an open and shut case with me getting a refund asap but my expectation is that it will be anything but!

They do seem to be very easily confused, the tracking showed them calculating and then further revising import charges.  That went on for about week before they moved it onto Parcel Force.  It's like they can't understand the concept of anyone sending something to a country outwith the EU for warranty repair.  You would think that would be something that happens all the time.

I'll await their response with bated breath.  At least I've got my Quark back and it's working perfectly :) .

Stephen

Ridiculous Dave..

3 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

They (themselves :icon_biggrin:) obviously don't have a grammar checker on their email system.

It's an attempt at friendly professionalism. I know people that refer to me and you as myself and yourself. Generally they're jobsworths.

Very frustrating indeed. I have waited several days in customs. Never weeks. They do charge a customs fees based on the total value of the shipment if it goes ground internationally.

That fee sucks, so I don't buy preowned stuff much unless it is a good deal and from Canada only.

Fingers crossed they figure it out soon that it is okay to give it to you. 

After being in customs for nearly 5 weeks they've started a tracking number that claims it's just arrived in the UK :cussing:

I've already corresponded by snail mail and email explainig there was no duty to pay

Dave

59551f6482e0a_CUSTOMQUARK.PNG.b62fedfae3d7b44b085eec47c170217d.PNG

Oh mate, that's beyond a joke... government organizations are a bunch of morons... this sort of brings me to another post about launching into space and further space exploration.. how can we hope for any real advances in space exploration if governments are full of such monkeys, world wide!!!???

If it matches up with something I purchased years ago it is not held by HMRC, the shippers will be holding it and have referred something to HMRC to get the OK from them to release it. Basically there is a chain and half the time the shippers don't overly care.

I simply went to the shippers/warehouse, got some paperwork that they needed the HMRC paperwork for, then went to Feltham Customs office, waited for nearly an hour, paid the duty/VAT got the paperwork and went and collected from the warehoiuse at Heathrow. Actually customs (as they were then) were very helpful. They knew the correct rates and saved me about £250 on the item. It had a different VAT rate which I did not know about at that time, 5% not 17.5%. I paid £95 not the expected £350ish. The shippers didn't specify the item well enough and it was "lumped" into standard VAT rate.

If you have the time and if they still have public access, likely that has gone however now, then you could be advised to simply go and see them. Over the years and bits I have had to do I have always found them (HMRC, Customs and Excise as they were then) much easier to work with if you go say "Hello, I am abcdefg, and can we sort out the situation with XYZ?"

On 29/06/2017 at 16:40, Davey-T said:

After being in customs for nearly 5 weeks they've started a tracking number that claims it's just arrived in the UK :cussing:

I've already corresponded by snail mail and email explainig there was no duty to pay

Dave

59551f6482e0a_CUSTOMQUARK.PNG.b62fedfae3d7b44b085eec47c170217d.PNG

And where is my Quark today ? oh look it's still in the same place it was last week, surprised not, impressed not.

The text claims it's moved ?

Dave

595b702cbe684_Quarkcustoms2.PNG.aab95560693df9923966760a3453d42a.PNG

:hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2:

Well the tracking lept along today and the Quark has arrived back again over 6 months since it first went wrong.

Unfortunately after being sunny all day the Sun was too low to try it out but at least the LED turns green in about 7 minutes it sometimes turned green in 30 minutes before and at times never turned green at all, this was after Daystar had " fixed it " the first time.

Hopefully get to try it tomorrow if I can remember how to.

Dave

1 hour ago, Stu said:

That is great news Dave!! You have been very patient, I must say! Hope our summer continues to be good now!

Thanks Stu, if there's one thing astronomy in the UK teaches us it's patience :grin:

Dave

Archived