Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi All from Derby, what a night

Kramllah

Hi everyone, I'm new to Astronomy and ventured out last night for the first time.

I pointed my new telescope at the moon last night and was blown away, I even managed to capture a few images by hand holding a point and shoot to the eye piece.

I saw what i thought was a very bright star just to the right and up a bit from the moon so i moved my scope to it, WOW i could not believe I was looking at Jupiter.

I saw the brown smudges across her and she was complete like the full moon, i saw 4 bright stars around it which I presume are her moons.

So I don' know the technical speak yet but we all have to start somewhere 

I'm hooked.

Mark 

Congrats Mark :)

Yes it's always a bit of a jaw dropping experience when you see stuff for the first time. Jupiter is fabulous with it's main moons dancing around it, I'm still blown away every time I see Saturn - just beautiful! And there's loads of stuff to look at on the moon - but best viewed when it's crescent or half - look along the terminator for some fascinating views. It was quite full last night so presents a bit of a glare in the eyepiece. Have fun :)

Welcome Mark from land down under

Might be useful if you use a moon filter, especially with a full moon, that we had last night, as this will reduce the glare, and highlight features on the moon

Jupiter is amazing, and recently while doing an astronomy presentation with a club belong to, we observed  small blip emerge on the top of Jupiter

What we were we observing was a moon rising on jupiter, and 6-8yo school kids we were doing presentation for, were putting their mobile phones and ipads to eyepiece to capture the image

Hello there, Mark! So nice of you to join us!

We're here, by & large, to help find the answers to questions posed by folks' just like you. So please feel free to ask questions that you have in any of these different forums.

Your first-time seeing Jupiter & Moons is an experience we all had - and this view remains sharp & focused to our minds. Forever!

Starry Skies -

Dave

Hi Mark, welcome aboard the good ship SGL :-)

Great first post, I was in the same position as you just over a year ago and have been hooked ever since (so much so that I just upgraded from the 5" reflector that was my first scope, to a 10"!).  I'd still be on the road to nowhere without the help of the good folks in here, so make the most of it like I did if you think this is something that you really want to immerse yourself in.

Clear skies :-)

Welcome Mark.

Seeing Jupiter is awesome-and It will never get boring, the more you watch here the more detail you will see.

On your first night you saw our closest neighbour, the Moon. now all you have to do is see the rest of the universe!!!

Hi and welcome from the Cotswolds. I, like you, am new to astronomy and the night sky never fails to amaze and impress me. Hope tried many hobbies in my life and over time clubs come and go, sites for use disappear etc etc but the sky always has and always will be. Take your time, never be shy to ask and enjoy every degree of an amazing universe.

Clear Skies

Graham

Archived