Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS forum 3

mapstar

Some great astronomy shots coming in guys cheers. A bit of a drought this time of year, but glad some you are out there pulling in the star light and posting.

To say Dec that is a real nice capture especially with the expetience you've got. A natural I'd say.

Lovely stuff Vic that star adventurer is certainly being put to good use. Love the M51 and M101 widefield. 

Keep up the good work all

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Vicky050373 said:

That is an absolutely beautiful image Dec! Really really good.

It's all in the processing. I haven't taken the plunge with Pixinsight or Photoshop yet, but know I'll need to purchase one of them to get decent results.

Here are a couple of my images from the weekend. Been camping with the family in Derbyshire and had a couple of hours clear on Friday night through to Saturday morning.

I only took my DSLR and Star Adventurer, so I'm happy with what I got done.

Unfortunately, we had no access to phones/internet so I was unable to go comet hunting.

Details are on each image :)

ISS 27.05.2017 (1).jpg

ISS 27.05.2017 (2).jpg

M51 & M101.png

M51 27.05.2017.png

M97 & M108.png

Cassiopeia 27.05.2017.png

Milky Way 27.05.2017.png

Thanks Vicky. The processing is very challenging, I find it really difficult. If it wasn't for the online tutorials I'd have no chance.

Great images from your camping trip. Like Damian, I love the widefield shot of M101 and M51. Had never thought of capturing both in the same frame. Brilliant!!

On 5/27/2017 at 16:04, Dec said:

Managed to gather some RGB data this week to add to my HA image of C27 a few weeks ago. Processed with Pixinsight following the tutorials from Harrysastroshed (which are excellent by the way). First time combining colour with lum or HA so plenty of room for improvement. (Havent figured out how to adjust colour balance yet!)

The problems I've had with collimation, focus etc are evident from the star shapes but, to be honest, its better than I had expected.

Anyway with the lack of astronomical darkness for the next month or 2, I can hopefully get a bit more image processing practice done.

RGB Combined_Linearfit_DBE_ColourCal_SCNR_Hist_HDR_ACDNR_Hist_SatBoost_Registered_CombinedwithHA.png

Superb ,Great image Dec, you are a 'dark horse' at this game ha ha,  can't wait for the dark skies again to get up in the Dales or N/Yorks 

On 5/29/2017 at 21:41, Dec said:

Thanks Vicky. The processing is very challenging, I find it really difficult. If it wasn't for the online tutorials I'd have no chance.

Great images from your camping trip. Like Damian, I love the widefield shot of M101 and M51. Had never thought of capturing both in the same frame. Brilliant!!

Great wide field images Vicky, for this time of year really well done

7 hours ago, 2STAR said:

Superb ,Great image Dec, you are a 'dark horse' at this game ha ha,  can't wait for the dark skies again to get up in the Dales or N/Yorks 

Up for those Eric :wink:

Brilliantly images chaps... Going to be a great year once these skies start getting darker.

had a clear night last night up at Kielder but it still wasn't fully dark at 12.30am so didn't set anything up. Got some big plans for the place I'll have to share with you all at some time. But we need to be thinking of an Autumn star party up here. So will nail a date on maybe at the next meeting. Just bear in mind that Avon stuff doesn't work too well with the midges up here, think they must be super midges lol either that or there are just so many of them!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up peeps

BBC4

9pm Horizon: secrets of the solar system

10pm S@N special gods observatory 

10:30pm Britains star men :Heroes of astronomy 

Oh and see you all at the meeting this week :wink:

Don't forget the society meeting tonight peeps. We have John Nichol giving us a talk on David Sinden who worked on the optics of many great telescopes some of which are still in use today doing ground breaking science research.

Please come along and enjoy the history of optics in this country.

The summer solstice is nearly upon us so the count down to astronomical darkness can begin :grin:

Excellent meeting last night and a fascinating talk by John with the usual laughs and curry afterwards.

Many thanks to all that attended.

Please keep an eye on the thread, website and facebook for updates and info on future meetings and events.

Our next event is the horbury show on sunday the 25th of june. Anyone available to help please contact the society through the email address.

That's great Ben - certainly does look like them. I've still yet to see them. Nice one.

Yes, it was a really great meeting last night. Damian, would you kindly thank John and Ruth again for coming to see us, and I think we all agree that John's talk was really interesting. Good fun and belly laughs as usual at the curry afterwards, with Gain making the night with his mountain of lamb chops!

The next meeting is Thursday 13th July and we will update the thread and send emails out to all members with details nearer the time.

We really do need as many volunteers as possible for the Horbury Show. Again, I will be emailing all members over the weekend. We would really appreciate any help on the day.

10 hours ago, Vicky050373 said:

That's great Ben - certainly does look like them. I've still yet to see them. Nice one.

Yes, it was a really great meeting last night. Damian, would you kindly thank John and Ruth again for coming to see us, and I think we all agree that John's talk was really interesting. Good fun and belly laughs as usual at the curry afterwards, with Gain making the night with his mountain of lamb chops!

The next meeting is Thursday 13th July and we will update the thread and send emails out to all members with details nearer the time.

We really do need as many volunteers as possible for the Horbury Show. Again, I will be emailing all members over the weekend. We would really appreciate any help on the day.

Haha!

I unfortunately missed the talk . Nonetheless, the curry and my lambing session was just a most delightful experience. Good to see the gang as well as John and Ruth!

I know it doesn't really get "dark" now, BUT I really feel as though I should be out somewhere with my scope tonight. It's clear as a bell out there and Saturn would look amazing if only I could see it from my front yard. Might have a look at Jupiter with the little frac as I don't think it's worth getting the 8SE set up as the sky still looks blue!

20 hours ago, gtis said:

I managed 1/2 hour last night with the scope looking at Saturn always amazes me to look at Saturn and the rings

Need to get out and see Saturn before we lose it again. I just can't see it from my house due to the houses opposite. It's a must even though it is very low this year. Always a stunning view through the eyepiece :)

I was in the lake district at the weekend and was lucky enough to get some scope time on saturday night, the seeing was dreadful (saturn being low, and the lakes themselves probably dont help - saturn was doing the cucheracha in my eyepiece!) but i managed to get this image (180 stacked AVI frames) at 150x with my 5" Maksutov and my phone camera. I have a feeling it will be about the best i can hope for with saturn this year. hopefully it'll whet your appetite for when its better placed / in darker skies!

Saturn_Processed.jpg.f9b94c5e48c46ea36b9aa4bc154b1f36.jpg

It's not been all bad - this is the result of my first foray into narrowband from the back of Betty Eastwood Park looking east over Wakefield's light bubble! I gathered some S2 and O3 data but it's pretty washed out with it being close to summer equinox and also the full moon to boot but I'm pretty happy overall. 

13 x 390 sec Ha lights, 20 darks, 50 flats. 

get.jpg

On another note, I stayed at North Lees campsite last weekend and although the skies weren't truly dark, they were a lot better than here so I am planning a trip down in October half term if anyone is interested. I'll be renting a pod (£35) which has a heater and power socket. Decent E-W skies from the top field. 

10 hours ago, UKJay1971 said:

It's not been all bad - this is the result of my first foray into narrowband from the back of Betty Eastwood Park looking east over Wakefield's light bubble! I gathered some S2 and O3 data but it's pretty washed out with it being close to summer equinox and also the full moon to boot but I'm pretty happy overall. 

13 x 390 sec Ha lights, 20 darks, 50 flats. 

get.jpg

On another note, I stayed at North Lees campsite last weekend and although the skies weren't truly dark, they were a lot better than here so I am planning a trip down in October half term if anyone is interested. I'll be renting a pod (£35) which has a heater and power socket. Decent E-W skies from the top field. 

What a cracking image, especially given the conditions and time of year.

Makes me want to get a few more NB filters.

great Saturn Ben.

Nicely done Jay! I note you are going to North lees campsite end of October time, that is about the time of our society weekend up at Kielder Forest! Now they are truly dark skies and if you were a member, which is £25 for the year, then you could camp there for free all weekend, and have company, heaters and power, Oh and be a memberof a great society to boot! :glasses2:

indeed Damo is right after today the nights start getting longer, here comes the new astro season... wahay!

Archived