SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS forum 3

mapstar

1 hour ago, Bengrant76 said:

Welcome to the forum Big Beard!

Thanks for the welcome Ben. Your mountain hut trip sounds wonderful, one of those things we should all do at some point, and I really get your point about just savouring the moment :)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, mapstar said:

Nice one Ben wish I could get the big scope out there by the sounds of it :wink:

There would have been room in the the Van for the Dob, but hauling it up the moutain may have proved a challenge, Damian :-)

19 hours ago, Demon Barber said:

Evening All,wishing has never stopped you before Damian,hope your keeping well?

Regards

Mike

Yeah it's on the cards for one day I'm sure :happy7:

I'm good lathe project coming on well :icon_biggrin:

A quick note on how the two outreach events went over the weekend for RSPB Big Wild Sleepout at Fairburn Ings.

I was joined by Eric and his grandson for the Saturday night astronomy session. Unfortunately it was very cloudy, with a few specks of rain, so no actual stargazing was done. A few of the groups on the guided night time walks stopped for a quick chat and got a look at the equipment we'd set up though.

The Sunday morning for the solar session was more productive, as it had cleared sufficiently of cloud/showers around 09:45. I set up the EQ6 with ED80 & Lunt wedge with the society PST mounted on top. Even though there aren't really any visible sunspots, all the people who came over enjoyed the views - there was some surface detail and also prominences visible through the PST. I also did a quick practical size comparison of the Sun & Earth using a tomato and a measuring tape which the children were astounded with. 

Finally, just to mention as a reminder the next outreach event is Saturday 16th September at RSPB St.Aidan's - we'll need WADAS members there with scopes & equipment - let me know if you can help out.

So I finally managed to get out last night - the forecasting accuracy has been pretty bad recently. I am still working on some tweaks on my setup such as coma correction (how hard is that!!) and cable management. I added some O3 data to my NGC 7380 folder - I'm actually going to ditch the Ha data as it has some interference that won't calibrate out with darks or flats. I only had 18 mins of it anyway :)

This is a bicolour process of where I am so far - I think this is pretty good from light polluted Wakefield and I plan to build the total integration time to between 12 and 18 hours if I can get the weather.

When is the next meeting as I really want to get my membership application and subs in as the star party in October sounds a possibility 

get.jpg

21st September next meeting as far as i can remember. At our new venue. Details to follow. 

On aside note anybody want a free dishwasher? First come first served but needs picking up this week otherwise it's the tip 

4 hours ago, Soupy said:

21st September next meeting as far as i can remember. At our new venue. Details to follow. 

On aside note anybody want a free dishwasher? First come first served but needs picking up this week otherwise it's the tip 

Did it not work out when it came to cleaning EPs??? ?

10 hours ago, Soupy said:

Already got a dishwasher it's called Neil ?

I actually got some observing done!

Ok the stupid mood is up and I am in my dressing gown, but I got a quality 20 minutes with my bins!

Andromeda was lovely and so was Saturn. Bagged Ursula's fave, the cost hanger, and just had a browse about.

Good news is when the moon shifts and we have a clear night (hope!), I'll get a pretty good view of Sagittarius!!!!

Then the 12 can come out to play and I might finally get some new messier objects!

Finished my NGC 7380 last weekend - almost 6 hours in total. False colour SHO palette used (all narrowband is false colour). Processed in PixInsight - not bad for Wakefield in July / August :)

36386092586_757cb1064d_k.jpgNGC7380_Final_Image by Jay Bolt, on Flickr

Integration and equipment details on my Astrobin page

All constructive comments and criticisms welcome 

On 07/08/2017 at 21:47, UKJay1971 said:

Finished my NGC 7380 last weekend - almost 6 hours in total. False colour SHO palette used (all narrowband is false colour). Processed in PixInsight - not bad for Wakefield in July / August :)

36386092586_757cb1064d_k.jpgNGC7380_Final_Image by Jay Bolt, on Flickr

Integration and equipment details on my Astrobin page

All constructive comments and criticisms welcome 

Great image Jay. Love the colours. The detail is incredible especially given the time of year and poor conditions we've had lately.

Looking forward to some dark clear skies.

Cracking image Jay! Fantastic work. 

I'm back after a couple of holidays. A very wet, but thoroughly enjoyable, camping holiday near Ashbourne in Derbyshire followed by a fantastic 4 days in Prague which was amazing and the first time the kids have flown. Spotted Jodrell Bank on the way back into Manchester.

Hoping to catch up with the thread and see what everyone has been up to whilst I've been away :)

IMG_20170809_190745.jpg

I've been out a few times this week, but was thwarted by some errant clouds in the direction I was imaging. It was finally a totally clear sky on Wednesday night, enabling me to get the image I was after. This is the walking dragline (nicknamed Oddball) at RSPB St.Aidan's - and will be used in promotional material to advertise our upcoming RSPB/WADAS event there.

M.GOUGH_StAidans_Startrails_20170809.jpg

Archived