Narrowband

WADAS forum 3

mapstar

1 hour ago, mapstar said:

I might pop up with the society scope to give you all a look through it. 

Excellent Damian, be good to have a look through the new scope. Looks a nice piece of kit

2 hours ago, Mark62 said:

Ok if I get out I will see you there 

Great Mark, hopefully see you later

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Dec said:

Excellent Damian, be good to have a look through the new scope. Looks a nice piece of kit

Great Mark, hopefully see you later

Yes it will although the big dob would be nicer :grin: at this time of year its pointless though too light 

37 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Yes it will although the big dob would be nicer :grin: at this time of year its pointless though too light 

I just like setting up Damian for the practice, I know we can't get much of the dimmer objects though.

I had a nice view of M12 through the binos last night, so if it stays clear may give it a go in the scope tonight, and try for M10 and the summer beehive.

probably won't come to winscar though, have a good session if you do get out

when is the next club meeting? I'm going to try and get to the next one.

22 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Anyone venturing to Winscar should be aware that the Midges will be out in force :eek:.

Where's Vic and her midge spray when you need her 

Just stick one of your pies out for them to munch on ?

Admittedly that may well be treated as sacrilidge

20 minutes ago, astrotyke said:

The best midge spray you can get is from Avon, I kid you not. We have some at home somewhere 

It's called Avon - Skin so Soft. Apparently even the SAS have used it.

2 hours ago, mapstar said:

Anyone venturing to Winscar should be aware that the Midges will be out in force :eek:.

Where's Vic and her midge spray when you need her 

Sorry can't make it I am in north wales doesn't get dark until bedtime ?

1 hour ago, astrotyke said:

The best midge spray you can get is from Avon, I kid you not. We have some at home somewhere 

Yeah thats what Vic brought with her last time 

1 hour ago, Uplooker said:

It's called Avon - Skin so Soft. Apparently even the SAS have used it.

The S.A.S.  :eek:  I didn't know the SouthShields Astro Society were that hard core :grin:

Has anyone decided a time or have you all headed that way now. Was still light on the horizon at 22:45 last night. Probably midnight before it gets dark enough for astro 

Got in at two after meeting Eric and Dec up at our usual spot.

The sky was clear although the seeing was very average as I think there is a lot of haze about maybe dust in the atmosphere.

I was rusty last night seems like years since I've been anywhere near the eyepiece. The society scope gave good views of both jupiter and saturn on it's first run out. 

Was a pleasant evening with the midges only making a brief appearance a slight breeze keeping them at bay :wink:

Good to get out though 

On 5/12/2017 at 17:53, mapstar said:

Repair of a eq5 pro mount completed with proper adjuster due to a stripped and bent altitude screw

20170512_171533.thumb.jpg.6f3e7ffd2854c0a48e0575d728c54129.jpg

20170512_171539.thumb.jpg.ec5ec850d79a03e96df3ef9221b5517f.jpg

20170512_171544.thumb.jpg.69c395a0f7f7eee5b5d1fe2909ccbc0a.jpg

I'll await the owners verdict when he gets it back

:wink:

Just an update on the mount.

The owner has informed me it worked well during a set up and viewing session the other night.

Pleased it was a success :wink:

lovely warm evening last night. No sign of M12 though, I was convinced I was in the right place, it just wouldn't reveal itself. M5 was lovely though.

got the comet too, but it was just a faint fuzz.

Saturn was tantalising me just below the trees, but but didn't get high enough for me to get the dob on it :(

Managed to gather some RGB data this week to add to my HA image of C27 a few weeks ago. Processed with Pixinsight following the tutorials from Harrysastroshed (which are excellent by the way). First time combining colour with lum or HA so plenty of room for improvement. (Havent figured out how to adjust colour balance yet!)

The problems I've had with collimation, focus etc are evident from the star shapes but, to be honest, its better than I had expected.

Anyway with the lack of astronomical darkness for the next month or 2, I can hopefully get a bit more image processing practice done.

RGB Combined_Linearfit_DBE_ColourCal_SCNR_Hist_HDR_ACDNR_Hist_SatBoost_Registered_CombinedwithHA.png

That is an absolutely beautiful image Dec! Really really good.

It's all in the processing. I haven't taken the plunge with Pixinsight or Photoshop yet, but know I'll need to purchase one of them to get decent results.

Here are a couple of my images from the weekend. Been camping with the family in Derbyshire and had a couple of hours clear on Friday night through to Saturday morning.

I only took my DSLR and Star Adventurer, so I'm happy with what I got done.

Unfortunately, we had no access to phones/internet so I was unable to go comet hunting.

Details are on each image :)

ISS 27.05.2017 (1).jpg

ISS 27.05.2017 (2).jpg

M51 & M101.png

M51 27.05.2017.png

M97 & M108.png

Cassiopeia 27.05.2017.png

Milky Way 27.05.2017.png

Archived