Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS forum 3

mapstar

21 minutes ago, Soupy said:

great Saturn Ben.

Nicely done Jay! I note you are going to North lees campsite end of October time, that is about the time of our society weekend up at Kielder Forest! Now they are truly dark skies and if you were a member, which is £25 for the year, then you could camp there for free all weekend, and have company, heaters and power, Oh and be a memberof a great society to boot! :glasses2:

indeed Damo is right after today the nights start getting longer, here comes the new astro season... wahay!

I will be joining - just as soon as I get around to coming to a meeting! Do you know what weekend it is? I am a teacher and so that rules when I can commit to long weekends. Was up at Kielder a few weeks back and it was overcast the whole time - it's a long way to go but I might if I could dedicate the time. At least with North Lees, if it is terrible I can be home in 45 mins

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We haven't firmed up the date yet but it is usually half term time either first weekend or last weekend. Unless it's full moon time! Yes it's a long way but when the clouds roll away it can't be beaten!

Looks grate 

1 hour ago, rockystar said:

nearly there with my little power box, just need to wire it up and add a couple of fuses. Question: Where is best to place the fuses, between the switches and the jacks?

WP_20170624_12_35_43_Pro.thumb.jpg.bb78a5e2d76001c9f962325f9cb1ac1d.jpgWP_20170624_12_37_34_Pro.thumb.jpg.02387a803d57f097352a545766108f56.jpg

and please don't mention that the dimmer isn't straight, It's already bugging me!

Looks great. I put mine between the connections and the lighter socket but I don't have switches. 

By the way do you know the dimmer is not straight ?? lol 

37 minutes ago, Mark62 said:

Looks grate 

Looks great. I put mine between the connections and the lighter socket but I don't have switches. 

By the way do you know the dimmer is not straight ?? lol 

Need to venture down that Power supply avenue myself later on, by the way, your Wheely Bins are very clean !!!!

Cracking day at the horbury show today!

Lots of very interested people out there and a large number who have scopes but 

a) don't know how to use them

B) need help to make them work

And therefore don't use them. As a society we need to come up with ways to reach these people and get them included / practical help and we'll grow as a society and get more people involved in our shared love of this hobby.

However I was very disappointed in the society turnout. Many thanks to those that did help out - it would have been a one Vicki band all day otherwise. I know I couldn't stay all day, but I made sure I arranged to help setup and knockdown and do what I could.

We have nearly a years notice to lend a hand with an important outreach event, it's a crying shame more wouldn't help.

If people take this as a dig, well.......

Oh and I have the society scope at house, as Vicki doesn't have the room. If anyone wants to borrow it, drop me a message and we'll arrange a meetup.

Wish I could have stayed all day too Nick but things to do with the house being in turmoil. Was good to see everyone that did come along and met some lovely people to boot. We might see some new faces due to our stand 

3 hours ago, nicks90 said:

However I was very disappointed in the society turnout. Many thanks to those that did help out - it would have been a one Vicki band all day otherwise. I know I couldn't stay all day, but I made sure I arranged to help setup and knockdown and do what I could.

We have nearly a years notice to lend a hand with an important outreach event, it's a crying shame more wouldn't help.

Agreed Nick

No excuse but this is the first year I've not been there and thanks for all those that helped today. Apologies from me.

Many thanks to Vicky for again being there start to finish. 

I would have loved to be there today, but my new job unfortunately involves working most weekends now. Next year I'll have to request the day off to help man the stall. Thanks to all that attended & let's look forward to new faces joining and the prospect of longer nights.

7 hours ago, MattGoo said:

I would have loved to be there today, but my new job unfortunately involves working most weekends now. Next year I'll have to request the day off to help man the stall. Thanks to all that attended & let's look forward to new faces joining and the prospect of longer nights.

No worries Matt you've put the time in over the last couple of years 

I enjoyed Saturday, depsite being quite new to the society and not really knowing what to say to people, once you get talking abot a hobby with someone who is passionate and interested its easy though!

I was a bit concerned that it was raining when i arrived but there was good turnout from the good folk of Horbury. it was fun playing hide and seek with the PST and the sun too! And If one of the people i spoke to turns up to a meeting it was a few hours well spent.

Kudos to Vicky and Nick for their efforts, as well as the others who pitched in. And the hurricane, which was clearly waiting for me to leave before making its arrival!

Ben

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BigBeard said:

Hi all, it seems to have gone a bit quiet here, did someone tell you I was coming? ;-)

Do you still meet during the summer?

It's just the summer lull.

Things will become a lot more active towards the end of August when several hours of astronomical darkness are upon us again. 

There are some fantastic objects at this time of year low down in Aquilla Scutum and Sagittarius. 

13 minutes ago, BigBeard said:

If the clouds ever lift I will seek them out.

Are the evenings always this cloudy at this time of year?

PS - that dimmer looks a bit wonky ;)

Shhhh  don't mention the dimmer  :confused2:

On 7/6/2017 at 20:11, BigBeard said:

Hi all, it seems to have gone a bit quiet here, did someone tell you I was coming? ;-)

Do you still meet during the summer?

Well I may as well break the silence haha,

Corrector Plate Had my SCT just over 2yr and the Corrector plate was looking quite grimy and dull so decided to clean it, looked at all the options suggested on here and elsewhere, most recommended isopropyol/distilled water, anyway I used Tap water one quarter pint and 3 drops of Fairy liquid , 2" at a time with kleenex tissue wiping lightly from centre out, and again with a dry tissue.changing tissue every 2", looks ok now, probably not much change to the light gathering but it looks better !!. 

Focal Train  Now pushed the OTA as far forward ( front heavy) as is safe and with the 105mm distance from 6.3 FR to Atik Infinity chip exact I can just about manage 70 degree dec/lat before collision with the mount base, it's a drawback I will have to put up with I suppose, unless anyone else knows different

On 6/21/2017 at 15:01, UKJay1971 said:

I will be joining - just as soon as I get around to coming to a meeting! Do you know what weekend it is? I am a teacher and so that rules when I can commit to long weekends. Was up at Kielder a few weeks back and it was overcast the whole time - it's a long way to go but I might if I could dedicate the time. At least with North Lees, if it is terrible I can be home in 45 mins

Just had a look at your images, really good, all of them, you should post them on here Jay 

eric

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:29, BigBeard said:

If the clouds ever lift I will seek them out.

Are the evenings always this cloudy at this time of year?

PS - that dimmer looks a bit wonky ;)

oy! Cheeky!

WP_20170708_19_06_03_Pro.thumb.jpg.fe3bdaa7596e15e65d8e2a3650c51782.jpg

just waiting for a couple of fuse holders and then i can finish the wiring to the jack plugs :)

Hi @BigBeard and welcome to the WADAS forum! It is our last meeting before the summer break this coming Thursday 13th July 7.30pm at Horbury Academy. We will be having a quiz night hosted by Soupy and there may be a slight possibility of a visit to the local public house afterwards.

We tend not to meet over the summer break due to holidays coupled with the lighter evenings. However, if the forecast looks favourable we have met up for The Perseids on previous years.

I managed a spot of solar viewing and imaging this afternoon in-between the haze and high cloud.
The Sun showing AR2665 and several prominences.
Imaged this afternoon around 5pm using the WADAS Coronado PST and my QHY5L-II monochrome camera.
First image is taken from a 1000 frame AVI at 25ms per frame with best 50% stacked in RegiStax6 with wavelets applied.
Second image is taken from a 1000 frame AVI at 40ms per frame to try to capture the prominences.
Left it a bit late in the day for solar imaging, but getting out with the gear is always good.

The Sun & AR2665 08.07.2017.tif

The Sun 08.07.2017 Prominences.tif

Archived