Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS forum 3

mapstar

11 hours ago, mapstar said:

Looks like it was a missed opportunity for me last night as the weather is clear this morning!

My  trip to wales is here:-

Elan Valley

Enjoy the read and a few pics

re: Elan Valley

The most impressive line up of scopes I have seen before, would have been at home in the battle of Waterloo Damian as an Artillery Barrage ha ha, great detailed report as ever, pity you all didn't get more clear time with the sky, but non the less it sounds like what you all did get was quality.

eric  

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/1/2017 at 19:28, Vicky050373 said:

Printable PDF file of astronomical things to see for May 2017 (for UK observers) put together by one of my astro friends Mary McIntyre. Please feel free to share with anybody who may find this helpful :)

May 2017 things to see.pdf

Well I understand it is 'out of season' and lack of Astronomical darkness makes the Moon more significant, but there are still lots of DSO's out there in May that are obtainable .

My umpteenth attempt to get my set up as good as is possible is close , I will now do my alignment with , Telrad finder, Camera, Laptop. I have had a go up at Sutton Bank with this procedure and it was over 90% on target each time and with my scope really front heavy tracking was ok as well.

The Meade 3.3 works best for me at F5, Focal length of Meade is 85mm, so I needed 45mm of spacing to get F5, taking into account the camera back focus of 12.5mm, I now just have 32.5 spacer to obtain the required F5. This Focal Train now also gives me near clearance of the Mount thus more degree's of sky for me to go at.

Well it sounds good in theory haha, the proof will be in the pudding ( or the image) !!!!!

( I am in the 'Den of Iniquity' next week, but after that ok for anywhere)

Additionally I am now dark site friendly , Car/Laptop etc all conforming to etiquete !! e

sounds like you are all good to go for the new season when it arrives Eric! lets see what the next few weeks bring with a full moon due and then no astronomical dark!

I have managed some brighter deep sky objects during the months of May and June before so all is not lost! lol :fucyc:

Managed a bit of early evening lunar observing until the high cloud moved in
The Moon - Waxing Gibbous - 67% illuminated
Skywatcher Equinox 80 and Canon 100D with 3 x Barlow
Single 1/400 second exposure at ISO 800

The Moon 04.05.2017.jpg

On 5/3/2017 at 21:43, Soupy said:

sounds like you are all good to go for the new season when it arrives Eric! lets see what the next few weeks bring with a full moon due and then no astronomical dark!

I have managed some brighter deep sky objects during the months of May and June before so all is not lost! lol :fucyc:

Was out in the backyard last night for 2 hours just to convince myself I was on the right 'Track', apart from getting some cables jammed wrapped around the Mount, kicking my coffee over, tripping over a battery,initially  not changing my coordinates from Sutton Bank , and a few other little things I finally had a very good hour plus of slewing and tracking spot on, got some heavily  washed out images of NGC 7380, NGC 7023, IC 1396, not too bad an image of NGC2360, Carolines Cluster , it is a really nice cluster.

eric   

*pokes head out from behind a fence*

Wotcha peeps...! Apols for my absence of late - Getting back on my feet after some repeated kicks in the plums over the past month or two... shall be attending on Thursday so see y'all then!

Hi Everyone

just wanted to share a couple of images i got on friday night, I know they arent as good as some posted by fellow WADAS folk, but i'm quite pleased with them considering the conditions and equipment used (basically my phone camera & 5" Scope from my back garden in Normy) and its my first attempt at processing video with PIPP and Autostakkert. Any suggestions for improving my techinque would be welcome!

Jupiter.jpg.ad439d11b6d02166c6b037223107bff1.jpg

590ee5f285e43_moonprocessedP10.thumb.jpg.e0269a361c931da35d2004d7aac992f5.jpg

Ben

7 hours ago, Bengrant76 said:

Hi Everyone

just wanted to share a couple of images i got on friday night, I know they arent as good as some posted by fellow WADAS folk, but i'm quite pleased with them considering the conditions and equipment used (basically my phone camera & 5" Scope from my back garden in Normy) and its my first attempt at processing video with PIPP and Autostakkert. Any suggestions for improving my techinque would be welcome!

Jupiter.jpg.ad439d11b6d02166c6b037223107bff1.jpg

590ee5f285e43_moonprocessedP10.thumb.jpg.e0269a361c931da35d2004d7aac992f5.jpg

Ben

Look ok for first attempt Ben, considering you used your phone cam they are not bad at all.

eric

Nice results Ben, I especially like your Moon image - cracking focus. You've got some good detail coming through on Jupiter and it just shows what can be achieved from very accessible equipment. Great job :)

A couple of my images from this evening.
The clouds parted to allow a view of Jupiter and the Moon looking lovely in the South-Eastern sky, with Jupiter directly below the Moon.
Both images taken with my Canon 100D with 75-300mm lens at 300mm on my Vixen Porta II mount.

The Moon & Jupiter 07.05.2017.jpg

The Moon, Jupiter & Galilean Moons 07.05.2017.jpg

8 hours ago, astrotyke said:

I just drove past Damians house and spotted him looking up in wonder at the DLB :):) 

:eek: I was actually pointing Spica and Virgo out to a friend 

Archived