NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Your favorite constellation in terms of objects?

If you ask me, my favorite is close between Hercules and Orion, both have a huge library of facinating objects on show For Hercules we have M13, M92, Zeta and Rho Herculis both beautiful binary stars. And Orion we have the Great Orion Nebula ( M45 ) Betelgeuse a spectacular variable star, Meissa and it's group of stars around it. Many incredible sights in these pair of constellations!

So whats yours?

My favourite constellations is anyone I can see when the clouds allow?

But probably Cassiopeia due to the considerable amount of objects such as star clusters that always never fails to impress.

Orion is a close second with m42, m43 which always is a great site. My first DSO I ever observed with binoculars many year back also was lucky enough to see colour at the time. Just a woow moment that sticks in my mind 

I like Cygnus because my favourite deep sky object is in it - the Veil Nebula :thumbright:

The constellation also has some lovely star fields, clusters and double stars as well as a few more nebulae.

Cygnus followed by Cepheus.... I be a sharpless nebula observer, can't find any other constellation (from the UK) to compete (I never seem to get much a view of Sagittarius, might change my mind if I could)?!

peter

What no votes for Ursa Major?

From the sublime (M81/82) to the ridiculous (M40) it has plenty to keep me sweeping around. An  It never sets. There's even more if you take in neighbouring Canes Venatici (surely the winner of the "Highest ratio of Messier objects to visible stars" award, beating Vulpecula and Monoceros)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived