Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

lester palifka

Hello everyone.

My name is lester Palifka and my wife Carol and I are new to astronomy. We have bought the great courses lectures about the workings of the universe 98 one lectures. We have also bought a Celstron 130 slt with their standard lenses, power pack filters etc.

so far we have looked at the moon when it was 3/4 and were amazed. we are in the process of learning how to use this scope. we are in our 60's so this is a good quality time together doing something we both love. I have explored the tool section and found that the one where you put in your scope the planet yioue are going to look at, the lens plain or with a barlow.. I thought this was really neet. I look forward to asking questions and learning how to best use our scope. I am in ct.. in fact I used clear outside last nite and discovered the iss would pass over our house what a thrill to watch it go by..

thank you all for the warm welcome... we haven't been able to observe fpor a few nites nows because of clouds. but we did have a window for about a half hour and watched the ISS pass over with binoculars. wonderful sight  toben the ignorant... love the avatar I watch big bang theory all the time......as far as naked eye we can see only the brightest as we get a lot of light pollution. our daughter lives out in the country and we plan a visit ther soon they are about 20 mins away. cant wait to see the milky way last time I saw that was up in Lincoln maine where hter is NO light pollution....

AAAaarrghh! Without light pollution our activity would be so much more fulfilling and easy! Fortunately it doesn't take such a long drive to evade most of it, but I would love the convenience of dark skies at home.

Regarding Big Bang Theory, I like how they are childish but bring out adult questions, I also watch them often. The avatar is not just because I love the show, it's to remind people not to take what is said seriously or literally, because that's how disputes sometimes start in forums. If one ever begins, I'll link the other folks to YouTube, the Big Bang Theory scene with the sarcasm sign.

A Warm Welcome to SGL.
You can be sure of one thing Lester, and Carol, age is no barrier to Astronomy.
Some of the wonders your telescope will reveal to you, will actually remove a few years from you,
the excitement will see to that. Enjoy to the full, and If you need  advice or assistance,
then there are thousands of keen and knowledgeable people here who will be only too pleased 
to oblige.

Hello, Lester & Carol, and welcome to SGL - it's very nice to have you aboard!

From CT, I see. VT (Vermont) here. We love any and all astronomy-based questions, and love helping to find answers to them here - so never be shy, and ask away in any of our forums.

Clear & dark skies,

Dave

Archived