I'm in the Wrong Business...

niallk

I'm looking to clean my mirrors, and trying to source distilled water.  Boots chemists will sell me 2litres for €17 :eek:

Please tell me this price is ridiculous and that I should be able get it somewhere much cheaper...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Bonnylad said:

Is de-ionised stuff any good (no drying and streak free)? Window cleaners get through it by the truck load.

Not as good as glass-distilled, there may be non-ionic materials left in solution that were not removed.

ChrisH

I,ve used both and couldn't tell the difference.For the rare time you will ever use it a £1 for 500ml in Wilko seems logical.Some will agree and some will disagree it's one of those never ending debates.

2 hours ago, barkis said:

Distilled Water can be got from EBay

Don't think I would trust eBay sellers enough to actually supply distilled water when in theory they could be relabelling water of far inferior quality and generating themselves a tidy profit in the process

41 minutes ago, -Dougal- said:

Don't think I would trust eBay sellers enough to actually supply distilled water when in theory they could be relabelling water of far inferior quality and generating themselves a tidy profit in the process

What! No one would do that, would they?

http://wearechange.org/pepsi-admits-aquafina-bottled-water-just-tap-water

There are those who would be dishonest in all walks of life.  Unfortunately when money is in the mix,  it can dominate human behavior,  and in many cases,  to line their pockets. I tend to believe what I'm led to believe,  then  react when I've duped. 

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Anything is legal, until you get caught... :icon_biggrin:

Hard for me to understand why distilled water would be hard to get. Here it is on the shelves by the drinking (bottled) waters. (Folks use it in their steam irons, or steam mops)

8 minutes ago, laser_jock99 said:

If you have access to a dehumidifier the water from that should be pure- make sure the collecting tank is clean though.

Hardly pure , likely to be contaminated from the metal condensing plates and other internal surfaces , not to mention the mould and bacteria that lurk in such appliances .

Not safe to drink so certainly wouldn't use it myself , classed as 'grey water'.

IMO deionised water is fine for the purpose of rinsing mirrors. The main objective is to avoid depositing residues of calcium and magnesium carbonates and sulphates present in hard tap water when the mirror dries. I doubt any of the non-ionic impurities in deionised water are capable of doing harm to a mirror, let alone reduce reflectivity, at the concentrations they will be present at. Anyway a mirror surface will be covered with organics and other impurities in the air within a short time of being cleaned.  

With this latter thought in mind I wonder how pure the water condensed in a dehumidifier really is.  It's not just water vapour that gets condensed out of the air.  But having said that it is probably absolutely fine to use.  

36 minutes ago, laser_jock99 said:

If you have access to a dehumidifier the water from that should be pure- make sure the collecting tank is clean though.

That sounds like a top tip. I generally just water the plants with mine.

Just checking that we are talking about the final rinse so that the mirror is free of deposits and streaks?? I use warm tap water and washing up liquid for the main wash which is as close to zero contact as possible. Then rinse.

Paul

Just now, Paul73 said:

That sounds like a top tip. I generally just water the plants with mine.

Just checking that we are talking about the final rinse so that the mirror is free of deposits and streaks?? I use warm tap water and washing up liquid for the main wash which is as close to zero contact as possible. Then rinse.

Paul

Yes we are. Tap water with a little detergent is fine to use for all but the final rinsing. 

39 minutes ago, laser_jock99 said:

Having seen what grows in my dehumidifier collector  I would have thought urinating on your mirror would leave less bacteria and nastys on its surface!

Just now, Steve Ward said:

Just do it the easy way and grab a fire extinguisher ... :icon_albino:

1 minute ago, Steve Ward said:

Just do it the easy way and grab a fire extinguisher ... :icon_albino:

Just make sure that you don't pick up a dry powder extinguisher by accident! Lol

Archived