Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I'm in the Wrong Business...

niallk

22 hours ago, niallk said:

Hi Paul - yes the final rinse :)

So looking at the surface of my 15", I think it needs to soak, and I want to get a clean container and will do like you say - after an initial rinse off of any 'loose' particles.

Ideally I'd avoid touching the front surface all together, and just swish water around. Looking at my mirror, I'm apprehensive that it will take some 'rubbing'. How do you do it? Eg lightest rub with fingers, or cotton wool under just its own wet weight?

I'm thinking of fully submerging the mirror - anyone with concerns about doing this?  While I could wash in situ in its cell, I will be removing it to re-spot.

Niall, some say that soaking a mirror is not the best thing to do, I use a clean spray bottle with RO or distilled and a few drops of dish soap for the initial rinse with the mirror tipped up safely to let it drain off. I follow this with another spray bottle rinse with the RO/distilled.Repeat. The soap/water mix lubricates any particles on the mirror surface. Make sure if you drag anything across the surface it lubed with the soap water mix, many do submerge the mirror for this.

http://www.loptics.com/articles/mirrorcare/mirrorcare.html

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jetstream said:

Niall, some say that soaking a mirror is not the best thing to do, I use a clean spray bottle with RO or distilled and a few drops of dish soap for the initial rinse with the mirror tipped up safely to let it drain off. I follow this with another spray bottle rinse with the RO/distilled.Repeat. The soap/water mix lubricates any particles on the mirror surface. Make sure if you drag anything across the surface it lubed with the soap water mix, many do submerge the mirror for this.

http://www.loptics.com/articles/mirrorcare/mirrorcare.html

Thanks Gerry - I was reading that excellent Lockwood article only yesterday! Yes, I think I'll do like you suggest, and see how it goes. There's a variety of crud on the mirror, and I've no idea how it will shift.  I had watched a video from Rob Teeter and he submerges and soaks, but as you mention, I'm apprehensive about damaging coatings. Not so easy for me to get my mirror recoated in Ireland.  I think I'll hold off on soaking, and go with the alcohol approach (but not the get so drunk that I can no longer see the gunk :) ).

I'm not exactly looking forward to doing it, but I think it does need cleaning - if it was just a bit of dust I'd gladly leave it...

Niall

i went to a small local chemist and got  5l for a few euros. I washed it in soapy water and rinsed with distilled. I think I still have some left. I'll check and pm you. My wife might be able to get some at work. I'll get back to you soon. 

Barry

9 hours ago, Bart said:

Niall

i went to a small local chemist and got  5l for a few euros. I washed it in soapy water and rinsed with distilled. I think I still have some left. I'll check and pm you. My wife might be able to get some at work. I'll get back to you soon. 

Barry

That's very sound of you Barry - thanks!

Might even see you in Youghal this evening?!!

Archived