NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

lens cleaning ??

Hello iwols, be careful what you use . As I have heard some horror stories about so called optical cleaners ,that can attack  and damage the lens coatings. And this can be an expensive mistake if you use the wrong type of cleaning  fluid. I use baader wonder fluid and seems like a really good product .

I hope this helps☺

+1 for Baader Wonder Fluid. There's a helpful pdf from Thomas Baader at www.baader-planetarium.de/com/pdf/opticalWonder-engl.pdf

Whatever you use, DO NOT USE VIM....

7ddbdbd9c28c16b6675ceabfe3cf.jpg

Seriously, some good tips at http://www.astro-tom.com/tips_and_advice/cleaning_optics.htm

I think the Televue link should be http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=103

Remember: DO NOT USE VIM

Not really much to add, but I bought some Baader Wonder Fluid when I got my Baader LRGB filters and was setting up my filter wheel. I was amazed at how much better it cleaned than the old lens cleaning fluid I had (which was a generic brand, and only used on cheaper filters). Streak free! It seems expensive, but the bottle will last ages - the cloth is worth it too!

A very good alternative to Baader is Rosco lens cleaner, used with Rosco tissues, which I use on all my camera gear as well as scopes.

Remember, only clean when it's really needed, it's surprising how much crud has little effect on results.

Another one here for Baader Wonder Fluid! I would give the glass a good blowing first to get rid of any surface debris, then get either two microfibre lens  cloths or Pec Pads (one for application, the other for removal/buffing). Also, make sure that you apply the BWF to the cloth, don't spray it directly on the glass!

HTH

Rich

7 minutes ago, laudropb said:

I know it will delay your clean, but stick to wonder fluid, a tried and trusted product.

Thats the way I look at it. Having made a mess of cleaning a couple of decent eyepieces a few years ago (not using the Baader kit) I take no chances at all now.

1 hour ago, RichLD said:

Another one here for Baader Wonder Fluid! I would give the glass a good blowing first to get rid of any surface debris, then get either two microfibre lens  cloths or Pec Pads (one for application, the other for removal/buffing). Also, make sure that you apply the BWF to the cloth, don't spray it directly on the glass!

HTH

Rich

Removal of dirt and grit before you touch the surface is one of the key things, otherwise it doesn't matter which cleaning fluid you use, you risk scratching the coatings.

With an eyepiece, I give it a very good blow with a jet blower, then if necessary a gentle brush with a very soft brush to loosen anything remaining followed by a final blow. Make sure your cloth is free of dirt, grit or any other contaminants before starting.

1 hour ago, RichLD said:

HTH

Rich

Removal of dirt and grit before you touch the surface is one of the key things, otherwise it doesn't matter which cleaning fluid you use, you risk scratching the coatings.

With an eyepiece, I give it a very good blow with a jet blower, then if necessary a gentle brush with a very soft brush to loosen anything remaining followed by a final blow. Make sure your cloth is free of dirt, grit or any other contaminants before starting.

For those of us stranded in the uncivilized wildlands of the USA - where the Baader cleaning material is unavailable - I highly recommend Doc Clay's Cleaning Kit, which is available through OPT in Los Angeles, California (which Doc Clay teamed-up with in it's production):

https://www.optcorp.com/telescope-accessories/clean.html?p=2

If you're feeling brave and resourceful, you can make your own:

http://arksky.org/asoclean.htm

The proper usage of this isn't a pour-on & rinse operation. The procedure is outlined by Doc Clay and needs to be followed correctly. So please read it through before anything else. This stuff is truly the best I've seen. My results truly amazed cynical 'old me!

Clean Skies,

Dave

4 hours ago, RichLD said:

make sure that you apply the BWF to the cloth, don't spray it directly on the glass!

can I ask the reasoning behind this? I cleaned mine the other night and sprayed a little directly to the lens (after blowing and brushing), wiped it with a cuetip then cleaned off with a micro cloth. Am I risking damaging something  with taking this approach?

28 minutes ago, rockystar said:

can I ask the reasoning behind this? I cleaned mine the other night and sprayed a little directly to the lens (after blowing and brushing), wiped it with a cuetip then cleaned off with a micro cloth. Am I risking damaging something  with taking this approach?

Hi rockystar, I tend to find that less is more when it comes to applying cleaning fluid, hence my comment. The reasoning mainly surrounds the possibility of excess fluid finding it's way down the sides of the lens or filter element and seeping into the edges, finding it's way inbetween the coatings. This is especially true if the glass hasn't been fully removed from the cell or housing i.e. when you can't wipe the excess fluid off. When I first started in AP I ruined a 2" Baader filter this way so I am probably a little paranoid about the whole cleaning fluid situation TBH :happy11:

Also, because of my sometime scatty nature when spraying directly onto the lens surface I've managed to get overspray onto other glass that I've just meticulously cleaned, meaning I've had to start over. :BangHead: I also wear white microfibre gloves when I'm cleaning optical glass, especially filters - my missus rips it out me with "and for my next trick" type jibes :grin:

Hope that answers your question, like I say I'm probably over cautious!

Best

Rich

A good reason for spraying on the cloth rather than onto the lens is to avoid the chance of too much fluid getting onto the glass and capilliary action then taking it between lens elements.

7 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

http://arksky.org/asoclean.htm

The proper usage of this isn't a pour-on & rinse operation. The procedure is outlined by Doc Clay and needs to be followed correctly. So please read it through before anything else. This stuff is truly the best I've seen. My results truly amazed cynical 'old me!

Clean Skies,

Dave

Thanks for that one, Dave!

Waldemar

On 20/08/2016 at 17:09, John said:

A good reason for spraying on the cloth rather than onto the lens is to avoid the chance of too much fluid getting onto the glass and capilliary action then taking it between lens elements.

Historically this was always required with microscope optics as the cleaning could remove the lens mounting cement!

The badder wonder fluid is great although I wouldn't recommend the cloth. You can buy better quality cloth from most camera retailers . I use a cloth that came with my Sony vaio laptop which has much better cleaning properties and higher thread count . 

Archived