Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGLXII Chit Chat

cjdawson

I can't believe this thread hasn't been started yet.   Now that problems fixed.

So, I've just booked for the week.  It'll be nice to have lots of holidays at the end of the year.  With any luck, there will be a clear night like we had at SGL XI.

To get the chit chat rolling, should I bring my trumpet this time?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liked your last trumpet solo, you could play reveille at 6am to rouse the troops :evil4:

Don't think I'll have room for the guitar case especially if I have to bring my wife, though it's a toss up which one sounds the most discordant at full chat :grin:

Dave

11 hours ago, Jonk said:

I was thinking of bringing the guitar...

That would be cool.  It's a much quieter instrument and I normally ends up going down well.

11 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Liked your last trumpet solo, you could play reveille at 6am to rouse the troops :evil4:

Don't think I'll have room for the guitar case especially if I have to bring my wife, though it's a toss up which one sounds the most discordant at full chat :grin:

Dave

Two reasons why I won't be playing Reveille at 6am.

1. I will be asleep.

2. There is absolutely no way that I would do something like that to a group of astronomers.  A group of army cadets on the other hand, I have done it too, and enjoyed making their lives a nightmare in the process.  Oh and it was at 6:30 am, at breakfast was at 7:30am that morning. I know that the sound of a trumpet played outside will carry.  On a still evening, I'm sure that the sound would ring out over the entire park, it's something that I need to be careful about as I don't want to disturb the peace and tranquility that you get in the park.

21 hours ago, cjdawson said:

That would be cool.  It's a much quieter instrument and I normally ends up going down well.

1. I will be asleep.

2. There is absolutely no way that I would do something like that to a group of astronomers.  A group of army cadets on the other hand, I have done it too, and enjoyed making their lives a nightmare in the process.  Oh and it was at 6:30 am, at breakfast was at 7:30am that morning. I know that the sound of a trumpet played outside will carry.  On a still evening, I'm sure that the sound would ring out over the entire park, it's something that I need to be careful about as I don't want to disturb the peace and tranquility that you get in the park.

I am glad to read para two. My first visit to SGLX and as an ex member of the Senior Service will appreciate a slower start to the day. Unless of course you want to start a 0600 club.!

As this will be my first SGL bash, *and* my first time camping (Not counting an exhausted night on the Brecon Beacons in the CCF), I need some advice on a suitable tent that a cack-handed gonk can erect on his own, and which won't cost the earth, as I also have to stump up for a sleeping bag that won't be an invitation to hypothermia, and something to cook with that won't kill me with CO.

On 7 August 2016 at 10:14, Davey-T said:

Dave

Excellent. Great way to make us newbies feel right at home... It'll be just like being back at Sandhurst.

If you sound the last post I'm liable to start saluting and wobbling my bottom lip though

4 hours ago, Sirius Starwatcher said:

I am glad to read para two. My first visit to SGLX and as an ex member of the Senior Service will appreciate a slower start to the day. Unless of course you want to start a 0600 club.!

Squad runs at 0700, matelots invited too. Happily join you in a rousing chorus of heart of oak, as long as the pussers rum is flowing

@cjdawson - good to hear there will be no 6am wake-up calls. We do have a doctor attending, but not sure on his skills on removing trumpets from various orifices when out in the field. Could be good experience for him though :D:D:D

On the other hand, we could start an SGL guitar club! I am learning (badly) and I know several other members also play - we could all learn a song and then perform it as a group ensemble! Fly me to moon? Walking on the moon?

@DaveS - Dave, see previous SGLxx threads on tent advice - heaps of it there. A good tent, unfortunately, is not cheap and a cheap tent will not keep you warm or dry (plenty of others have proved this rule in the past!!). Double-skinned if possible to keep warm air in. Sleeping bag - again, get a decent one that has a high rating. It's easier to cool down when hot, than to get warm when cold!

On 07/08/2016 at 21:35, cjdawson said:

Erm...mine isn't! It goes to 11 :headbang:

33 minutes ago, daz said:

On the other hand, we could start an SGL guitar club! I am learning (badly) and I know several other members also play - we could all learn a song and then perform it as a group ensemble! Fly me to moon? Walking on the moon?

I would be happy to bring it and the amp if anyone wants a sing song? I don't usually play mainstream songs from memory, but can play along to pretty much anything I hear.

Anyone else who plays guitar is more than welcome to have a strum.

In fact @daz, I was thinking after the last SGL, if it would be a good idea to have an outdoor band on one of the main evenings as it's getting dark? Not sure if Lucksall would allow it, but there's plenty of room in the welcome tent for it? Maybe during / after the hog roast?

16 hours ago, DaveS said:

As this will be my first SGL bash, *and* my first time camping (Not counting an exhausted night on the Brecon Beacons in the CCF), I need some advice on a suitable tent that a cack-handed gonk can erect on his own, and which won't cost the earth, as I also have to stump up for a sleeping bag that won't be an invitation to hypothermia, and something to cook with that won't kill me with CO.

Don't worry about setting the tent up on your own.  There will be plenty of other people around who will happily stand around and point out what you are doing wrong, or if you are lucky, they'll smile knowingly to "encourage" you and laugh.

Then someone's misus' will come clip them round the ear and your tent will be up in no time to the tune of "yes dear" or something like that. ;-)

14 hours ago, jimboozle said:

Excellent. Great way to make us newbies feel right at home... It'll be just like being back at Sandhurst.

If you sound the last post I'm liable to start saluting and wobbling my bottom lip though

All joking aside now, 28th oct - 4th nov.  Is the run up to Nov 11th.  The playing of The Last Post is something that I take seriously.  This happened as I used to be lead bandsman in the Hants and IOW ACF and it was my job to do the remembrance calls.  Having the duty honour privilege to play The Last Post on the bridge at Arnhem, in the war cemetery for the 50th anniversary taught me just how important it is to perform that piece and mean it. (if you ever hear it you would understand)  If you want to know more, ask me about the war veteran in the Cemetery at ooterbeck and you'll understand why I don't joke around when it comes to that.

Also, ask me about God save the queen and how I can reign hell over an army camp with it.  pwhahahahhaha :)

21 hours ago, cjdawson said:

Don't worry about setting the tent up on your own.  There will be plenty of other people around who will happily stand around and point out what you are doing wrong, or if you are lucky, they'll smile knowingly to "encourage" you and laugh.

Then someone's misus' will come clip them round the ear and your tent will be up in no time to the tune of "yes dear" or something like that. ;-)

This bit is good to know, I've only got a 4-man family tent, so hopefully there will be a friendly soul or two to lend a hand. It does mean I'll have plenty of storage space if anyone needs it.

2 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

I`m really thinking about coming with the wife just need to persuade her it would be nice meet up with you all not been a star party since PSP and if I`m  still having problems with my mount I can get hands on help.

Just explain to Mrs Wookie how delightful we all are :smile:

2 hours ago, DRT said:

Just explain to Mrs Wookie how delightful we all are :smile:

Does this mean the I have to be on my bestest behaviour ????

Second thoughts. I believe that I am pitched close to the infamous DobMob.

She may need prior briefing..........

Paul

7 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Does this mean the I have to be on my bestest behaviour ????

Second thoughts. I believe that I am pitched close to the infamous DobMob.

She may need prior briefing..........

Paul

Shhh? We only need Wookie to be granted permission. Once he and Mrs Wookie get there he can explain that most of the delightful people unexpectedly didn't turn up :wink:

On 07/08/2016 at 21:35, cjdawson said:

1. I will be asleep.

Our awakening call very early morning, was our Drill Sergeant savagely beating on a metal Locker door. A hellish noise, a Bugled Reveille 
would have been a very pleasant Wake Up Call . 1953 Blandford Dorset.  REME  basic training.
The Memories won't ever fade, or that bleddy noise. :icon_biggrin:.

19 minutes ago, barkis said:

Our awakening call very early morning, was our Drill Sergeant savagely beating on a metal Locker door. A hellish noise, a Bugled Reveille 
would have been a very pleasant Wake Up Call . 1953 Blandford Dorset.  REME  basic training.
The Memories won't ever fade, or that bleddy noise. :icon_biggrin:.

haha.    I used to be an adult instructor in the ACF, and remember doing the exact same thing to the kids at 6:45 when they weren't getting up get the place tidied up before breakfast and the morning room inspections.

1 hour ago, cjdawson said:

haha.    I used to be an adult instructor in the ACF, and remember doing the exact same thing to the kids at 6:45 when they weren't getting up get the place tidied up before breakfast and the morning room inspections.

06:45 ?  that's half the day gone. :icon_biggrin:

Archived