NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from India

BhaskarK

Hello People,

I recently purchased a six inch reflector and am excited to learn more about this hobby. With the onset of monsoon (JPR is where I live) by the end of this month, the conditions are going to be unfavourable so I better buckle up to learn the most important skills before that. I have taken a look at most of the bright objects and stars. Now my primary target is the Ring Nebula in Lyra which I hope can be easily found by starhopping (a skill I wish to learn quickly). The light pollution in my area is quite high with a naked eye limiting magnitude of a little more than 4 (5 if I try really really hard).

Equipment:

6 inch f/7 Dobsonian mounted reflector with 6x30 straight-through finder scope.

Eyepieces:

25mm EWF Kellner

17mm EWF Kellner

12.5mm Ramsden

2x and 3x Barlow. (I guess mentioning the 4x Barlow won't help because it's a singlet and suffers from high chromatic aberration) .

The first thing I wish to do is buy some eyepieces or accessories for the scope. I hope I can get sufficient help here.

Also, I am uploading some photos I have taken(mainly of moon and Saturn) by holding my trusty Lumia to the eyepiece. 

Clear Skies !

PS. the images where there is dust on the lens is actually the 4x barlow which I have handled quite roughly. Also, getting accessories is not an easy job here because there are only a few suppliers. Do take a look here before you recommend something.

Images and a video are attached with this post.

WP_20160616_20_09_18_Pro.jpg

WP_20160616_21_46_18_Pro.jpg

WP_20160616_21_52_25_Pro.jpg

WP_20160616_21_52_30_Pro.jpg

WP_20160616_21_52_38_Pro.jpg

WP_20160616_21_52_47_Pro.jpg

WP_20160616_21_52_54_Pro.jpg

WP_20160616_21_53_09_Pro.jpg

Saturn Processed.bmp

WP_20160617_005.mp4

WP_20160617_21_23_53_Pro.jpg

WP_20160617_21_24_00_Pro.jpg

WP_20160617_21_25_04_Smart.jpg

WP_20160617_21_25_29_Pro.jpg

WP_20160617_21_25_33_Pro.jpg

WP_20160617_21_26_32_Pro.jpg

WP_20160617_21_26_36_Pro.jpg

WP_20160617_21_26_51_Pro.jpg

WP_20160617_21_26_58_Pro.jpg

WP_20160617_21_28_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20160617_21_28_14_Pro.jpg

WP_20160617_21_28_18_Pro.jpg

WP_20160617_21_28_32_Pro.jpg

WP_20160617_21_32_16_Pro.jpg

WP_20160617_21_33_21_Pro.jpg

WP_20160617_21_34_13_Pro.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greetings and welcome to SGL - it's good of you to join us!

I am certain we can help you in your stated quest to learn the night-sky and locate such entities as M57 - the ring-nebula in Lyra. Once you've settled in and explored the many sub-forums here, you will hear about Stellarium - a computer planetarium-program that will help you do so - free of charge. One of the greatest bargains going!

Have a productive monsoon-season -

Dave

1 minute ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Greetings and welcome to SGL - it's good of you to join us!

I am certain we can help you in your stated quest to learn the night-sky and locate such entities as M57 - the ring-nebula in Lyra. Once you've settled in and explored the many sub-forums here, you will hear about Stellarium - a computer planetarium-program that will help you do so - free of charge. One of the greatest bargains going!

Have a productive monsoon-season -

Dave

A a matter of fact, I have already installed Stellarium on my laptop. However it is really a chore hauling the laptop on the roof everyday and destroying my night vision (even in the night mode). I use a software on my phone to identify the brightest stars before going out for observing. Now I am thinking about printing a copy of the Triatlas as a star-hopping guide. Vega is quite easily visible here and getting to M57 must be easy, but I have yet to try it.

PS. I don't know the apparent fields of my eyepieces. Any idea how to experimentally find them ?

You can print star-maps from Stellarium to take with you.

Did the eyepieces come with your telescope? If so, tell us what telescope you bought and from where & who made it. You can start a thread(topic) in a good forum here for people needing such information about their telescopes and eyepieces:

https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/186-getting-started-equipment-help-and-advice/

Dave

7 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

You can print star-maps from Stellarium to take with you.

Did the eyepieces come with your telescope? If so, tell us what telescope you bought and from where & who made it. You can start a thread(topic) in a good forum here for people needing such information about their telescopes and eyepieces:

https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/186-getting-started-equipment-help-and-advice/

Dave

Here's where I got the telescope from. It's the last one.

http://www.sharpvisionindia.com/prod1.htm

Also,  I am attaching the file that was supplied and having complete specifications about the scope.

G-II PDS in word.doc

Hi BhaskarK and hope you find all you want here at SGL,  we have a few Indian members - the impression I get is equipment is difficult to find but seems to be getting easier, I suppose being close to Delhi helps, all the best fighting the pollution.

Welcome to the site.

M57 is just between 2 stars in Lyra and not difficult.

Good luck with your scope.

Don't you have a second hand online marked in India, in the region where you live? Maybe you could score some equipment there. A paper atlas is really nice to have, together with a small red light.

Hi Bhaskark and welcome to SGL, a 150mm reflector is a nice all round starter scope for your observations, you may find your first port of call, for better clarity with your observing, will be your eye pieces. Those supplied by the manufacturer, Kellner and Ramsden, are very basic but ok to get you started. The design of the optics is very dated and not really the sharpest knives in the drawer when compared to eye pieces nowadays. Investing in good first base quality optics, should your first step. If you inquire in the relevant Equipment section, I am sure you will receive some useful suggestions that will suit your scope, enjoy your Astronomy and the forum :) 

15 hours ago, Linda said:

Welcome to the site.

M57 is just between 2 stars in Lyra and not difficult.

Good luck with your scope.

Don't you have a second hand online marked in India, in the region where you live? Maybe you could score some equipment there. A paper atlas is really nice to have, together with a small red light.

We do have ebay here but most of the equipment available there are low aperture refractors and almost all the reflectors are overpriced. I also have a red light but I feel it also affects the night vision and so I try to read my atlas in moonlight only.

I tried for M57 yesterday but due to the dense and uniform cloud cover, even moon wasn't visible, let alone Vega. Going to try again today.

While there is no hope for them here, Clear skies to you. :tongue2:

A red light is still a good solution, but maybe yours is too bright. Maybe you can put a handkerchief over it or so? Or find a smaller red light. We prefer to use our telescope for deep sky when there is no moon. Then you need something else than moonlight to read your atlas.

Just to give you an impression, without saying that it is the ultimate solution, I bought something like this one:

http://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Flexible-Black-Music-Stand-4-LED-3AAA-batteries-White-Dual-Arm-Useful-Book-Reading-Light-Super/32347092091.html?spm=2114.010208.3.91.LHI8kd&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_10,searchweb201602_4_10017_301_10040,searchweb201603_11&btsid=1b8859d8-9a96-4815-9a17-a685f67bf1da

And I painted the lamps red with 2 layers of red hobby paint. Red nail polish will also do the trick. One layer was still too bright, but 2 layers is OK. And I usually only use one light for reading in the atlas. When I have found the object, I turn the light away.

Laptops and telephones are in general not good for your night vision. Although many astronomers still use them. On your phone, you could install a twilight app, so that is isn't so bright. I use that to record my observations on the phone's voice recorder.

Cloud cover is to be expected when you buy a new scope...

Archived