Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

THE FAULKS 20" F4 DOB BUILD

faulksy

Wow!  Before I went to bed this was just a triangle of steel. A few hours later I find that the elves have been at work and we have almost an entire scope :eek:

How do I get the elves to visit my house? :wink:

Edited by DRT
  • Like 3

Sorry to say I've only just spotted this as I've been busy with other bits, and needed an excited nudge from someone to say it was on :wink: 

It's looking really good Mike and you've certainly been very busy since our last chat. 

Lovely thread (I know Steve likes lots of pics :grin:) which is coming on quickly. It's also nice to see a different take on a few bits.

Watching with interest Mike. Keep up the good work buddy and thanks for the mention. 

Also see you've got the bearings mounted for the mirror edge supports :happy7:

• Like 1

This is a beautiful job. Are you a professional in the machine shop? Welding stainless isn't for everyone. It does give the whole thing some real class. (I am probably the worst amateur welder in Europe. :D)

We have a 20 inch F4. It's such a nice size, big but not ridiculous and not too terrifying at the zenith.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
Typo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

This is a beautiful job. Are you a professional in the machine shop? Welding stainless isn't for everyone. It does give the whole thing some real class. (I am probably the worst amateur welder in Europe. :D)

We have a 20 inch F4. It's such a nice size, big but not ridiculous and not too terrifying at the zenith.

Olly

im a maintenance fitter olly so part of my job realy. i will polish all the welds up today and put another pic up :happy10:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mapstar said:

Sorry to say I've only just spotted this as I've been busy with other bits, and needed an excited nudge from someone to say it was on :wink: 

It's looking really good Mike and you've certainly been very busy since our last chat. 

Lovely thread (I know Steve likes lots of pics :grin:) which is coming on quickly. It's also nice to see a different take on a few bits.

Watching with interest Mike. Keep up the good work buddy and thanks for the mention. 

Also see you've got the bearings mounted for the mirror edge supports :happy7:

mirror edge support bearings were fun to drill and tap, just need to make spacers now so they rest at the cog

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, faulksy said:

mirror edge support bearings were fun to drill and tap, just need to make spacers now so they rest at the cog

I knew they would be :evil6: Getting them set up properly would be a nightmare. I've been looking into a jig for the next build :wink:

Edited by mapstar
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Pig said:

With a 20" scope Mike will probably be able to see Infinity from Wales :hello:

hopefully shaun, but only need to see 3 dso,s m27,m57 and m13 happy with them :happy10:

• Like 1

spoke to 00 yesterday and asked for a update on my mirror set they said its all milled out (dont know what that means) and its got a red sticker on it which is a great sign dont know what that means either :icon_bounce:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, faulksy said:

spoke to 00 yesterday and asked for a update on my mirror set they said its all milled out (dont know what that means) and its got a red sticker on it which is a great sign dont know what that means either :icon_bounce:

They use a diamond cutter to rough generate the curve. Not sure on the red sticker bit? next steps are

Rough grind

Fine grind

Polish

Figure 

Testing 

Coating 

Not necessarily quite in that order but still some way to go by the sounds. Oh and not to forget 

Shipping to Mr Faulks

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, faulksy said:

That's a lot more information than I got when I asked "Can you please give me a rough idea when my VX12 will be available for collection?" - answer: "we will email you when it's nearly ready". :BangHead:

• Like 1

Real nice craftsmanship on the mirror box!!

Impressive metal work - you mentioned you made the alt bearings yourself - wow! That cell looks class.

It's going to be a beauty :thumbsup:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mapstar said:

They use a diamond cutter to rough generate the curve. Not sure on the red sticker bit? next steps are

Rough grind

Fine grind

Polish

Figure 

Testing 

Coating 

Not necessarily quite in that order but still some way to go by the sounds. Oh and not to forget 

Shipping to Mr Faulks

im collecting :happy10:

8 minutes ago, DRT said:

That's a lot more information than I got when I asked "Can you please give me a rough idea when my VX12 will be available for collection?" - answer: "we will email you when it's nearly ready". :BangHead:

as you can imagine, i phone them most days :happy10: there communication skills are terrible

i ordered the 30th of march, was told 8 - 10 weeks

Edited by faulksy
  • Like 1

On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 09:10, faulksy said:

hopefully shaun, but only need to see 3 dso,s m27,m57 and m13 happy with them :happy10:

Really enjoying this thread Mike, interesting little tid bits for when I start my build, keep em coming.

Horsehead nebula  for me would make it all worth while.

Rick M

• Like 1

23 hours ago, estwing said:

great work lads...not bad for a chicken farmer and a bricklayer..:hiding:

:grin::grin:

Still laughing Calvin :laugh:

I must say though that I have a new found respect for Mr Faulk's work and an ongoing respect for Swampthings wood working skills... I had a sneeking suspicion that Mike could produce great work after seeing his Nexus fabrication...

Great job guys!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JRM said:

Really enjoying this thread Mike, interesting little tid bits for when I start my build, keep em coming.

Horsehead nebula  for me would make it all worth while.

Rick M

very true rick, it was lovely in my 14" should be good in a 20" with the same figure. thanks

• Like 1