Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SkyWatcher StarGate 500P SynScan 20" Goto Dob

DRT

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, DRT said:

Does anyone know what the mirrors will be like on these?...

1 parabolic, 1 flat and a primary of around 1/4-1/5th wave PV ? :icon_biggrin:

I could afford it but nowhere to put it :sad2:

It looks to be taking "ultra light" to extremes. I would wory about the ridgedity and expect a wobble if some one sneezed in the next field!

This opinion is formed just by looking at the pictures. So I am more than happy to stand corrected.

Paul

21 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

It looks to be taking "ultra light" to extremes. I would wory about the ridgedity and expect a wobble if some one sneezed in the next field!

This opinion is formed just by looking at the pictures. So I am more than happy to stand corrected.

Paul

Yep, there's a heck of a lot of weight in those secondaries once you get past 16"...

I wondered about that too but did you notice the six lateral braces on the trusses? Presumably placed there for exactly that reason?

The 18" has been around for a while now and I haven't read anything about that being a problem.

I think the bigger issue is the quality of the mirror. In this price range they are competing with very high-end kit. If John is correct and the mirrors could be 1/4th PV I think that might be a problem for the Dob geeks.

47 minutes ago, DRT said:

I wondered about that too but did you notice the six lateral braces on the trusses? Presumably placed there for exactly that reason?

The 18" has been around for a while now and I haven't read anything about that being a problem.

I think the bigger issue is the quality of the mirror. In this price range they are competing with very high-end kit. If John is correct and the mirrors could be 1/4th PV I think that might be a problem for the Dob geeks.

I truthfully have not heard anyone round here raving about the 18 inch, either.  :)

I do know that to my eye, the 16" version (400p) has an excellent quality mirror - it really performed well when viewing Jupiter over a month ago...I was very surprised at how much detail I could see.

2 hours ago, DRT said:

Does anyone know what the mirrors will be like on these?

Not yet but we are investigating. We are hoping they have the new fused-together-in-an-oven type mirror construction as the existing 18" model. 

HTH, 

Steve 

If you translate that to raw $, you could buy a 20" Classic Obsession, f/5.

Ok no tracking, but Obsessions move so beautifully, one doesn't need tracking for DSOs. Push-To is a few hundred to add on.

If only we didn't have to pay delivery+ insurance (you might be able to work around the import duties... !)

A 20"  >0.95 Strehl UC Type2 Lukehurst is 'just' £750 more - in for a penny ...

There was a nice vid of the 500p posted on CN recently:

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/537632-skywatcher-20-ultra-compact-dob/#entry7228178

The SW mirror design is interesting - and very good for cooling down no doubt.

27 minutes ago, FLO said:

Not yet but we are investigating. We are hoping they have the new fused-together-in-an-oven type mirror construction as the existing 18" model. 

HTH, 

Steve 

From the blurb I've read it sounds like they are, Steve. Have you had any useful feedback on the 18"?

I saw this on ABS earlier - it looks good but I have noticed some owners of the stargate commenting on build quality and not being entirely happy - but it's hard to tell what to make of that when happy owners are much less likely to post that they had no problems.

I'm not sure how many observers who are into telescopes of this size will be keen on goto - I'd rather put my money into better optics, but then if you can afford this I guess you can afford goto!

18 minutes ago, John said:

There was a post from an owner of one of the 450's a while back on here. Not a 100% happy tale I seem to recall but I can't find the post now :undecided:

Was this the one, John? :-

I have also read positive reviews - particularly one posted on CN and a French forum. As far as I recall, the few comments I've read on the mirrors in use by people have been very positive.

If they are fused are they hubble optics mirrors?

Not sure on the quality but I have only had one report and it wasn't very good when on a test stand? May have just been a rogue one though? 

8 hours ago, mapstar said:

....Not sure on the quality but I have only had one report and it wasn't very good when on a test stand? May have just been a rogue one though? 

Then again:

Optically I've had it side by side with my 22" and there's not much between them.   I had the Horsehead Nebula in my 22" and the 18" on the same night.  Luckily I have both scopes setup all the time as building the 450p is a headache, especially with that flimsy mirror cover. I ended up getting a trolley to move it.   

On 5/26/2016 at 18:26, John said:

1 parabolic, 1 flat and a primary of around 1/4-1/5th wave PV ? :icon_biggrin:

I could afford it but nowhere to put it :sad2:

I could afford it too John, but I'd have to choose which one of my kids to sell into slavery :).
Who am I kidding....I'd have to sell both of 'em. 

Archived