Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SkyWatcher StarGate 500P SynScan 20" Goto Dob

DRT

On 26 May 2016 at 20:32, niallk said:

If you translate that to raw $, you could buy a 20" Classic Obsession, f/5.

Ok no tracking, but Obsessions move so beautifully, one doesn't need tracking for DSOs. Push-To is a few hundred to add on.

If only we didn't have to pay delivery+ insurance (you might be able to work around the import duties... !)

A 20"  >0.95 Strehl UC Type2 Lukehurst is 'just' £750 more - in for a penny ...

There was a nice vid of the 500p posted on CN recently:

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/537632-skywatcher-20-ultra-compact-dob/#entry7228178

The SW mirror design is interesting - and very good for cooling down no doubt.

Nail been hit squarely on the head here...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 26/05/2016 at 18:26, John said:

I could afford it but nowhere to put it :sad2:

I could afford it, but the bigger question is should I afford it, ( after a lifetime of frugal living I am not easily parted from my dosh! ) and without an emporium to go visit to see it and the previously mentioned lack of attention to detail and QC,,,  ???

11 hours ago, SilverAstro said:

I could afford it, but the bigger question is should I afford it, ( after a lifetime of frugal living I am not easily parted from my dosh! ) and without an emporium to go visit to see it and the previously mentioned lack of attention to detail and QC,,,  ???

For < £5.5k, the 20" with Nichol Optics from the Dobson Factory is worth consideration too:

https://sites.google.com/site/thedobsonfactory3/500mm-kompaktdobson

It looks beautifully compact - but I don't know much about them tbh :) I believe a member with a wealth of experience here on SGL was going down the Dobson Factory route for a large premium truss - can't remember who though ;)

2 minutes ago, niallk said:

For < £5.5k, the 20" with Nichol Optics from the Dobson Factory is worth consideration too:

https://sites.google.com/site/thedobsonfactory3/500mm-kompaktdobson

It looks beautifully compact - but I don't know much about them tbh :) I believe a member with a wealth of experience here on SGL was going down the Dobson Factory route for a large premium truss - can't remember who though ;)

They are very nice, and very different :wink:

I,m not part of this secret society (dobmob)? but I do concur with what's been said,to part with £5.5k for a mass produced scope when a beautiful hand crafted one can be had for roughly the same amount of money to be honest is an act of lunacy.Not only will it work out of the box but you will get a product built to your own specs and benefit from personal customer care,just my pennies worth.

Archived