NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

whats your 3 most fav objects in the sky

xtreemchaos

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

Knight of clear skys- you can have as many boxes as you like mate,3 was just a guide. anyone going to post any pics , heres my most fav pic its a single frame and it wasnt a planned shot. charl.plane crazzy.17-4-16.19.00 work.png

That's E.T. Jet "boom boom" 

Great capture with the moon & plane.

I guess the region around Orion would be high on my list. If we're posting pic's I put this up in the Deep Sky imaging forum yesterday:

imageproxy.php?img=https%3A%2F%2Fc2.stat

An ancient supernova remnant written large across ten degrees of the sky, dusty regions sculpted by stellar winds and radiation pressure and a plethora of star-forming regions, all hiding in one of the most recognisable asterisms.

great shots mate theres so much to see around Orion, many a winters night its the only area i look at, its at its best in widefield. well done you have caught well.charl. did think about posting in DS but its about everything in the sky and vis so dosnt really fit.

5 hours ago, xtreemchaos said:

great top 3 Paul, i must say the beehive is one of my favs.clear skys charl.

If i had to add more than my top 3 i'd be in trouble because we'd be here all night reading. LOL. I guess 1 or 2 more wont hurt.........

Auriga. Yep, the whole thing. Its an area i first observed maybe 5 yrs ago and i just love it.

Cassiopeia ("The Big W") as i describe it to friends and neighbours if and when i hold a spur of the moment star party (i have been known to do so). Lots to see and its a good signpost for finding other stuff. I reckon its the 2nd most recognisable constellation in the night sky to non-astronomers (even if they dont know its name). It sticks out like a sore thumb to most. For us astronomers.......pretty much any constellation sticks out like a sore thumb once we learn them. Its as if they shine 10 times brighter then the rest of the night sky and our eyes detect them in an instant. Thats the way it is for me. Without being dark adapted i can look up and at least 4-5 constellations just jump right out of the sky at me. Leo is another. The "Leo trio" of galaxies is a sight to behold.

See..........i'll stop now or else. I have 36 yrs of binocular observing behind me, but only actually 8yr of telescope observing.

4 minutes ago, swamp thing said:

No!!............Really? you surprise me mate :evil62:

I wonder what the first object you observe with your next scope will be. My money's on M57 :evil62::evil62:

your probably right :happy10:

Solar system  objects, deep sky objects and Stellar objects. I know, there's always a smart pants!

If i were to be pinned down to a literal three favourites that i never tire of, they'd be Mars, the Moon and the Orion Nebula, in that order. 

Mike :icon_cyclops_ani:

- The Veil Nebula (thats several objects really but I'll count it as one !)

- The Orion Nebula

- Jupiter

I've got several hundred objects in runners up places though :rolleyes2:

Saturn (majestic), Sun (mindblowing), Double cluster (first thing I stumbled across in a telescope), the 3 cluster in Auriga (first things I learnt to find by star hopping), but for all out awesomeness visually the Veil as seen in Olly's big Dob - I never imagined you could actually see the detail visually that you see in pictures!

For imaging, horsehead, orion region, and the heart nebula holds a special place for family reasons

Helen

My 2 favorites are BL Lacertae and Cygnus X-1. I still think it's incredible that I can actually get to see these things directly - having read and wondered about them when I was younger. Neither are much to look at but I'm as interested in looking at and thinking about things that are amazing/interesting as I am looking at things that happen to look nice. After that it gets difficult to say - there's too much up there!

Archived