Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

whats your 3 most fav objects in the sky

xtreemchaos

vis or imaging,for me it has to be Sol followed closely by the moon "daytime ones" if good seeing, then it has to be the orion and all the goodys inside. i know mine are all easy targets but im all for a easy life, please include fav pics. i wish you all clear skys.charl. PS you can have more than 3 if ya want.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if I could narrow it down to three specific targets, but Saturn, Jupiter and the moon I guess for solar system. Too many DSO's to list but M31, M81 & M82 (counting this as one! Hehe!), & M13 for sure for galactic objects. :)

Hmmnnn......seems like I did narrow it down after all! ;) 

It's quite tricky when you stop to think too much. Some DSO are a challenge and very rewarding to find,but nothing to look at. The best thing I have ever seen is a total eclipse,so perhaps the sun and moon  should be top! 

Mine would be Jupiter because of it's colour and m42 because you can really ramp up the mag. The best of all is a cressent moon and it's contrast with the long shaddow's?

Mine are the moon as it is so clear and crisp, the Jupiter as it is so famous and big, and then Saturn due to its enigmatic ring system. Only a beginner but here are some pics I am proud of, DSO's will come in the next few years I think!  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Tricky one. Think the visual list is very different from the imaging list. And then theres the oh so beautiful but not in my imaging capabilities list.

Visually as most DSO's are little more than grey fuzzies i think i would stick to solar system objects. The 3 obvious are the Sun (after all who can deny loving seeing the Sun on a summers day), The Moon as it can be seen in such detail and of course if the first time you see Saturn in a good scope you dont wet your britches then theres something wrong with you. Although i will also have to sneak in the Milky Way from a real dark site its gorgeous.

In my imaging capabilities i guess M31 definitely has to be there and the Horsehead has to also be included. And also widefield of the entire Orion region is a real treat.

In terms of top end imagers and Hubble etc i do have a real soft spot for the Sombrero galaxy. Also Hubbles image of the Antennae collision is just divine. And lastly i think i would have to pick Hubbles Cats Eye nebula image. 

I've been limited to binoculars for the last couple of years...just got a scope a few weeks ago. I'd have to say Jupiter (I love seeing the moons beautifully lined up), Orion Nebula (only seen in binos), and Pleiades (only seen in binos).

Pleiades has a special place for me as it was the first DSO I saw through a scope, the moon is a great object as there is always something to see. The other easily observed planets are always worth prolonged observation. 

Tough one :)

In no particular order:

* Cats Eye Nebula

* Needle Galaxy

* Jupiter plus its moons...

Lots of the usual suspects also being favs ... A lot depends on conditions - I've been wowed by almost every class of target: solar system plus DSO [except open clusters??! - just not my thing :) ]  - catching a good night where you can take your time and browse in a relaxed way is my favourite kind of night. Standing back every so often and even just enjoying naked eye, and seeing the onset of dawn as the sky goes through every shade of blue...

Archived