Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Old coger' outdoor advice !

cotterless45

Just some old time hints from the old Coger, who spent far too many nights pier and beach fishing.This mainly applies to tents. Seeing as caravaners take their homes with them.

It's going to be cold, wear layers, each layer traps air. Test socks and gloves by holding them to a radiator.you shouldn't feel the heat through them. A few cut out cardboard insoles will keep those feet warm for free. I recall one year waking up to a tent covered in thick ice, brrrr.

Keep dry, tissues for the nose are essential . Wet just conducts heat, just lick your finger and stick it in the wind.
Don't forget a warm hat covering the ears. The neck looses loads of heat so a buff or scarf is essential.

If you have any sort of rubberised / canvas / plastic bed then a blanket under your sleeping bag will stop heat being conducted away. Lots of folk can't get to sleep. Changing into pjs and bringing a pillow helps. Best thing is ear plugs, there's no sound insulation in a tent and you'll hear every zip going  and noises. Folk who say they don't snore surely have a good crack at it at night. 
The dawn chorus is very very noisy. Your local crows like to get in early.

That's about, local currency will probably be the Jaffa cake . Remember fresh air is going to increase your appetite, take plenty snacks and I recommend the cafe breakfast.
Hoping for clear skies and seeing y'all again,
Nick.

All good ideas - I plan to wrap up my scopes in extra duvets for exta warnth too. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to use ibn th hook ups? Will one of those 4 way plug things fit? How long and water proof will I need. And finally, can I run a standard domestic kettle?

Standard domestic kettles aren't a good idea at all on campsites. You'll end up tripping out the electric supply for your section - or possibly the whole site. That will switch off everyones goto, tracking, and imaging gear - not to mention water pumps, lighting, and battery chargers. If you want to be the most unpopular person on site - a kettle will do it lol :)

Yikes - wouldn't want to deal with the angry mob that would provoke :wink:. Are there suitable types of EHU friendly kettle I can get? I mainly plan to use the EHU to charge my power tank, but I wondered if I could get some sort of more rapid water heating device than my tiny trangia to make tea with :)

Yep any camping kettle with the lower amp draw are usually suitable. Sorry didn't mean to panic you. Any 4 way mains plugs make sure you get waterproof ones that are made for outdoor use so you don't risk fusing your gear or electrocuting anyone. Towsure, GoOutdoors, etc are good sources for these sorta things. :)

Tepanyaki eh? If you're cooking tepanyaki I may just drop in - I adore japanese food my mouths watering as I type lol. :)

I've got my green fuzzy hat ready and my thick woolly tights!

I won't bring my white leopard print onesie though...it causes unnecessary alarm to animals and small children.

On 3/1/2016 at 17:58, Marki said:

Yikes - wouldn't want to deal with the angry mob that would provoke :wink:. Are there suitable types of EHU friendly kettle I can get? I mainly plan to use the EHU to charge my power tank, but I wondered if I could get some sort of more rapid water heating device than my tiny trangia to make tea with :)

There's a free tea and coffee making station provided 24hrs right next to the Welcome tent ! :icon_biggrin:

lol.  It's to keep the Jaffa cakes safe until I drive down.  Upon which they shall be distributed in small concealed caches around the campsite squirrel style so that no-one but me knows where they are.

One for anyone using a hike tent along the lines of Nick's blanket under the sleeping bag.

Put a tarp or plastic down on the ground before you pitch the inner of your tent over the top of it; the extra insulation layer below the (thin) groundsheet really helps to keep the tent warmer overall. 

Nice tips Nick, all sound advice. And you can never take enough socks camping. They love it. 

Archived