Hello from Blunsdon

kz1bob

Hi Everyone,

My name is James, I live in Blunsdon in Wiltshire, UK.

I have been fascinated with astronomy since I was a kid after my first school trip to the Dallas Planetarium and a family trip to the McDonald Observatory. While in the US Marines, I was stationed at Camp Pendleton in Southern California and made several trips to the Palomar Observatory.

At 54 I finally got my first telescope! My family pooled their resources and for Christmas I received a Skywatcher 130P. I am still getting the hang of using it properly but so far I have seen some fantastic views of the moon and have seen the weather bands on Jupiter! Now waiting for a cloudless morning and Saturn to rise high enough to get a good view.

My next step is to start taking photos!

This site was recommended to me and I have already gain a huge amount of insight reading posts and comments. Looking forward to posting images and engaging in discussions soon.

1 hour ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Greetings, James, and welcome to SGL - nice to have you aboard! The SW 130p is likely the most popular telescope out there, and for good reasons.

Clear & dark skies,

Dave

@Dave In Vermont - is this "most popular telescope" the Heritage Flex Tube 130P Dob?  I'm considering a low-cost Dob for faint objects, but have been put off somewhat by the bulk of some of them.  This model looks good at only 6.2kg!  The other 130P is the Explorer, with the EQ mount (which I don't fancy).  

Doug.

PS: Now I think about it, that aperture is about the same as I have at present, so I won't see faint objects any better, I suppose.

2 hours ago, kz1bob said:

Hi Everyone,

My name is James, I live in Blunsdon in Wiltshire, UK.

I have been fascinated with astronomy since I was a kid after my first school trip to the Dallas Planetarium and a family trip to the McDonald Observatory. While in the US Marines, I was stationed at Camp Pendleton in Southern California and made several trips to the Palomar Observatory.

At 54 I finally got my first telescope! My family pooled their resources and for Christmas I received a Skywatcher 130P. I am still getting the hang of using it properly but so far I have seen some fantastic views of the moon and have seen the weather bands on Jupiter! Now waiting for a cloudless morning and Saturn to rise high enough to get a good view.

My next step is to start taking photos!

This site was recommended to me and I have already gain a huge amount of insight reading posts and comments. Looking forward to posting images and engaging in discussions soon.

Welcome to SGL from up the road in Glos. :)

The SkyWatcher 130P is a good telescope, with a nice balance of aperture and portability. 

1 hour ago, cloudsweeper said:

@Dave In Vermont - is this "most popular telescope" the Heritage Flex Tube 130P Dob?  I'm considering a low-cost Dob for faint objects, but have been put off somewhat by the bulk of some of them.  This model looks good at only 6.2kg!  The other 130P is the Explorer, with the EQ mount (which I don't fancy).  

Doug.

PS: Now I think about it, that aperture is about the same as I have at present, so I won't see faint objects any better, I suppose.

Hi Doug - mine is the Explorer on the EQ-2 mount. When I was first researching the EQ-2 was a good mount that balanced functionality with cost. In the short time I have been using and learning, I already have my sights set on an upgrade to the mount :-) Still happy with the EQ-2, at my level of capability, it is still more than adequate.

My next purchase will probably be the NexImage 5 - from what I have read so far, cost/capability wise it is a good starting CCM. Happy to take advice and insight from group if anyone has suggestions or alternatives.

6 minutes ago, kz1bob said:

Hi Doug - mine is the Explorer on the EQ-2 mount. When I was first researching the EQ-2 was a good mount that balanced functionality with cost. In the short time I have been using and learning, I already have my sights set on an upgrade to the mount :-) Still happy with the EQ-2, at my level of capability, it is still more than adequate.

My next purchase will probably be the NexImage 5 - from what I have read so far, cost/capability wise it is a good starting CCM. Happy to take advice and insight from group if anyone has suggestions or alternatives.

*CCD (typing too fast) :-)

18 minutes ago, kz1bob said:

Thanks James.  I started last year with a Newtonian on an EQ mount and just couldn't take to it!  My present 127 Mak (Maksutov Cassegrain) is a GoTo with an alt-az mount which I really like.  I'm thinking of saving hard to move up to an 8SE, so a smaller Dob would not be worthwhile.  

Download Stellarium (if you haven't already got it) to see the times/angles for viewing Saturn at best advantage.  The rings look good at present. 

Doug.  (Purely visual!)

Hi James, and a warm welcome from me also in north Swindon (Ferndale area, nearer town).  Sounds like a good scope you have there, very portable.  Lots of dark areas around Swindon.  We (Swindon Stargazers) have been using Blakehill Farm Nature Reserve near Cricklade for stargazing recently.  Feel free to check out our website: http://www.swindonstargazers.com/

Archived