Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from the UK.

HowardHopkinson

Hi, my name is Howard and I'm 61 years young. I've been into astronomy for around 35 years or so and during that time have owned several telescopes(all refractors until now). After a break of around 9 years, I decided that I'd get another scope and promptly purchased a Skywatcher Explorer 200p on an EQ5 mount. Once I had learned to collimate it, I soon realised this was the best scope I'd ever had. The views were breathtaking, though the handling was a lot different to the refractors I'd had. Almost immediately I wanted to upgrade the mount to a Synscaan goto and having had the scope for 7 months I did just that last week.

I also decided I'd like to dip my toes into the world of AP, so purchased a Logitech Quickcam 4000 pro that was already modded. My first images were not that good as the mount wasn't tracked at the time and since the upgrade, I've simply not tried any planetary stuff. My latest acquisition is a Canon 550D T2i DSLR and I was fortunate enough to get a semi clear night last Friday 22/1/15 and took images of both M45 & M42, which I'm quite pleased with, though I know I can do better, time and weather permitting(see below).

I now know that I've got a long way to go and much to learn about AP before my images are upto scratch, or at least I'll be happy with them.

Anyway, that's enough rambling from me, so I'll close by saying I'm happy to be here and wish everyone clear skies.pc5AQNKExyJza4KLxaQ7MZL4JLeb8JTXn-2KH91MdaL2Zf424ufVLLg48SIm3Zit9oogdH0SnDO1mfeO

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Howard and welcome to SGL, looks like you have made a good start with the AP, you might like to "dip your toes" a little further and acquire one of the most popular and informative books, used by many of our forum imagers,  covering the world of AP.  Steve Richards " Making Every Photon count" copies can be had through FLO, see top of the page, enjoy the forum and your imaging :)

Hi Howard and welcome to the forum. Astrophotography certainly has its challenges but a little experience should make it easier to obtain predictable results - and from your images it does look like you are well on your way.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here

Archived