NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Enough is enough!

I could well be talking to an empty forum, as, if like me you have perfectly clear skies, but unlike me you lucky lot all have scopes to be viewing it with!

So I need to sort this out and stop messing about choosing what to buy, so I am going to put it out for general vote!  How democratic of me.

If your life depended on it, and you had to choose one of the following scopes, which one would you choose and why?

Option A - Sky-Watcher Star Discovery 150P

Option B - Celestron 31145 NexStar 130 SLT

Bear in mind I am a complete amateur.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Option A star discovery. Can be used totally manually so if the batteries go flat you can still be observing and moving the telescope. (I have not watched any videos on the other mount).

Both these telescopes are reflectors so if you have no reason to not go for one specifically then bigger aperture would probably scratch aperture fever itch for longer.

Neither.

I would do more research by getting in touch with a local Astronomy Society and attend an observing session where I would have a chance to actually look through different scopes, after which I could make an educated decision on a purchase. 

Whichever has the best potential part-ex value....for when you upgrade! :)

But seriously, go for simplest to use.

The Skywatcher is a great scope and such a thing was beyond my wildest dreams as a beginner, when it would have been considered a serious scope.

The  Discovery 150 looks the better telescope on specification! yet I  wouldn't buy either scope  today?

I  have used and experienced a  similar  telescope  like the two you  mention, and from the first session, I had to upgrade to something  that better suited my needs. The resulting telescope  has  better views and easier to use!

For less than the Discovery 150P  and  more capable,  investigate the possibilities of  this telescope before you go out and make a purchase. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

I'd go for A as I've just bought one myself having spent ages weighing up what suited my needs and I love it! Just in from my second evening of viewing and apart from the moon wrecking the show for most anything except the moon its still a great feeling using a scope. Moon is fantastic by the way. My needs were visual observing only, no astrophotography, manual mount but with equatorial for easier tracking of objects. I would go for more aperture over having a goto any day, certainly for a first buy. As a beginner you may spend more time setting up and getting frustrated than using the thing! I find the eq mount polar alignment super quick and easy and then its swinging the thing around and pointing at what you want to see. Then again I'm in it for the thrill of the hunt, hopping around stars so goto would ruin it for me. Even after two sessions I can feel the skills coming up. End of the day it has to suit what you want to achieve in your viewing sessions but dont skimp on aperture.

As L8 Nite said, do more research and, if possible, try before you buy. My first scope (bought last October) is a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ. It's a very good starter scope and, being completely manual in operation, I feel I've got far more out of it than if I'd gone for a computerised scope. Now, there are those who will be able to list a number of good reasons for buying a computerised scope over a manual and I'm not going to disagree with them. However, I think if you're only just starting out and you really want to learn your way around the night sky, then a manual scope combined with a good star map or app (I use Star Walk on my iPhone) would be better. There is also the difference in price; you'd probably be able to get a larger aperture OTA without the electronics for the same price.

You can colimate it an owner of one has confirmed that they were able to even after it survived a drop. It wasn't done through an expected arrangement but it does have a facility to make adjustments.

It is almost an exception for a goto mount in that it can be used purely manually with your hands like an AZ mount.

Are there any astro groups in your area? If so, a visit to them might be helpful. The people at the ones I am a member of are all too willing to help out with advice and even (when the weather allows) let you look through their 'scopes.

Neither!

Forget GOTO in this price range. All too often it is more like 'go somewhere in the general direction of'.

Do you want to go out and look? Or go out to fiddle with the handset?

Spend instead on the optics and the mount. You can always upgrade later.

My first 'proper' scope was an Orion Optics (UK) 200mm F4 reflector with manual EQ5 mount.

Not that different in use to the Skywatcher 200P on EQ5.

This served me well for several years.

Alternatively, consider a dobsonian in similar size.

However, as others have already said. Take a look through a few scopes before deciding.

Also buying secondhand can lessen the loss if you decide you have made the wrong choice ans sell on.

The ads on this site (when you get the time/posts) are generally from honest people with looked after kit.

Your local club can offer you a look through scopes, and maybe members selling on.

Avoid though that certain well known auction site.

Hope this helps, David.

I would be tempted to say 'A'...

What you intend to use/view with your 'scope?

Do you want ease of use?

or

Do you want to go further?

If you can visit a 'dedicated' reseller/showroom, visit it, then decide. If you have a local club/society nearby visit it too, and any star-parties.

Just my 2p on GoTo:

I find it very useful as a beginner. You need to know a couple of stars to align with and then it will find the rest. If you use it in conjunction with star maps or with Stellarium, it'll help you learn the night sky - but with much less risk of frustration at not finding anything. When(!) you upgrade you can potentially (check the handset specs) plug the handset into another Skywatcher mount. I use mine with my little Heritage 90 Virtuoso.

Lastly I also find my Telrad is invaluable in aiming the scope / checking the GoTo (if necessary).

Of the two options listed then for me the obvious choice would be A. But there are other choices worth considering and the 200P Skywatcher Dobsonian, if you can manage the extra size, would be a much better bet IMO.

Thanks.

I have looked at the 200P, i would struggle with storage though.

Archived