NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Enough is enough!

You have not said what you want to do with a scope!

If it is just viewing first then possibly asto imaging later. Then your choices may differ.

Derek

Hi, Thanks.

Initially planetray, moving on to some nebulae and nearer DSO, looking at some imagery of planets but initially using webcam.

Ideally further down the line once I have more experience then photography but that will be some time in the future.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just my 2p on GoTo:

I find it very useful as a beginner. You need to know a couple of stars to align with and then it will find the rest. If you use it in conjunction with star maps or with Stellarium, it'll help you learn the night sky - but with much less risk of frustration at not finding anything. When(!) you upgrade you can potentially (check the handset specs) plug the handset into another Skywatcher mount. I use mine with my little Heritage 90 Virtuoso.

Lastly I also find my Telrad is invaluable in aiming the scope / checking the GoTo (if necessary).

Thanks.

One thing I have taken from your post is the Telrad, I had never heard of it before but it certainly looks a lot better than a standard red dot.  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/telrad-finder-astronomy.html  Thanks

I would be tempted to say 'A'...

What you intend to use/view with your 'scope?

Do you want ease of use?

or

Do you want to go further?

If you can visit a 'dedicated' reseller/showroom, visit it, then decide. If you have a local club/society nearby visit it too, and any star-parties.

Hi.

Planetray and nebulae to start with moving out to nearer DSO later, then a lot later photography...probably with a completely different scope.

Initially ease of use is the target until i get going.

still using the EP's provided but I also got a 3xbarlow and a 9mm EP-Both Celestron LX, and I must say that is more than enough to be getting on with for now. I set myself a budget of £500 and the scope+EP's/Barlow+powerpack (another thing you will need to consider) came in right on target. Of course there is now need to upgrade EP's right away and others will advice to wait and get to know the scope however I am very glad I forked out and got a new barlow-views of the moon through this scope and 10mEP/3XBarlow are forgettable and crystal clear.

I have the Skywatcher Star Discovery 150p and its a great scope. Don't get caught up in the "aperture " merry go round or you would end up with a 400 scope. Decide on the biggest size scope you can store, handle and transport and look for scopes in that size.

The GO-TO on the Star Discovery is spot on and once aligned will center on selected objects every time. This is the new mount with dual encoders and is probley the way Skywatcher is going. I upgraded from a 130p manual and would never go back, for me the goto has made observing much more enjoyable.

Thanks.

I have looked at the 200P, i would struggle with storage though.

.....If you live in a hutch or a flat with just a small balcony, then yes, the 200P could be an issue.

The 200P  Dobsonian Skyliner  uses about as much floor space as the average dining chair,  far much less than any EQ mount would need  fully mounted?

Once covered, yes its noticeable, but not in your way.

Mine was always near the back door, easy enough to lift into the garden, but now housed in its own cupboard, still fully mounted, and still easy enough to lift  in/out of the cupboard.

200P Home

Even the 150P could better my 200P if your skies / conditions are  darker than mine, but side by side, same conditions,  the 200P wins, the 200P also having the better  focuser, and you mention ease of use, Unless your using binoculars, it can't get much easier than a Dobsonian mounted telescope?
Take two 200P Skyliner, F-1200  A-200 f/6 telescopes, leave one on the Dobsonian mount, the other, add some rings and attach it to an EQ/GEQ mount.
The same telescope yet the Dobsonian will be easier and quicker to use,  even having mastered the manual EQ system, the Dobsonian is by far quicker, easier, a joy to use ( when the conditions allow, come on weather, have a heart!) weather affects any telescope, not just the Dobsonian mounted telescopes :happy9:

.....If you live in a hutch or a flat with just a small balcony, then yes, the 200P could be an issue.

The 200P  Dobsonian Skyliner  uses about as much floor space as the average dining chair,  far much less than any EQ mount would need  fully mounted?

Once covered, yes its noticeable, but not in your way.

Mine was always near the back door, easy enough to lift into the garden, but now housed in its own cupboard, still fully mounted, and still easy enough to lift  in/out of the cupboard.

Even the 150P could better my 200P if your skies / conditions are  darker than mine, but side by side, same conditions,  the 200P wins, the 200P also having the better  focuser, and you mention ease of use, Unless your using binoculars, it can't get much easier than a Dobsonian mounted telescope?
Take two 200P Skyliner, F-1200  A-200 f/6 telescopes, leave one on the Dobsonian mount, the other, add some rings and attach it to an EQ/GEQ mount.
The same telescope yet the Dobsonian will be easier and quicker to use,  even having mastered the manual EQ system, the Dobsonian is by far quicker, easier, a joy to use ( when the conditions allow, come on weather, have a heart!) weather affects any telescope, not just the Dobsonian mounted telescopes :happy9:

Hi, thanks.

I have tried the baby brother of your scope the 130P heritage a few times, in all honesty I couldn't get on with the mount.  Yes a lot of my problems was due to the size of the 130P, meaning it had to be on a table for a flat surface, my garden makes it worse as its on a slope so using a floor mounted dobsonian of any description is difficult.

...the principle maybe similar with the 130 heritage, but the resulting images would differ and subsequently be better through the 200 given the same conditions.

Folk have  added adjustable feet to said scope, or  built adjustable stands, but  I have not noticed any issues even on uneven ground? and as the Dobsonian is not equatorial mounted, a totally level  surface is not so essential, as is having a level EQ mount! therefore  I can still push to any target quickly, efficiently,  and my scope does not rotate to its lowest position due to the effects of gravity and inclination.

You need to go and see some scopes at a meeting somewhere, or even  visit a fellow member who may live nearby, to get a feel  and to see what's available.

My first scope was an EQ Celestron, I had no trouble understanding how it worked, just had issues the way it worked? I knew exactly what I needed and wanted after the first proper session, and unless I  venture into astro-photography, I'll probably only ever own a Dobsonian mounted telescope in the future!

Even levelling an EQ system, one of the legs will need to be shorter than the rest in order to get the system level in your garden,  and its  more critical to have an EQ system  properly levelled.

Very easy for us to  recommend this and that, and always difficult to read and understand from a newbies perspective.

You will find what your after one Day! but  don't  rush, all targets will  still be visible when the clouds disappear and your new scope is up and running?

I am also a newby and have used my 5" scope for some months.

I vote for option A. More aperture and the scope supports 1,25" eyepieces. The 2" eyepieces might be better/show more (as I have heard, but not experienced), but the are more expensive. 1,25" eyepieces are probably better suited for a beginner telescope. 6" is a good aperture to see lots of DSO's.

Definitely option A. I recently bought myself a Sky-Watcher 250P and the quality of the build and optics are great, I'd recommend Sky-Watcher. 150P is a really nice scope to get started with, you'll be able to see a lot with it.

I vote for option "C"- the SW 200mm f6 dob. If DSO are on the table as objects of primary concern the f6 will be an asset as will the extra aperture.You will also be able to get a higher lunar/planetary mag in the exit pupil "eye resolution zone", which goes from about 2mm to .8mm ( some tolerate less) ie f6@ .8mm exit pupil= 4.8mm or 250x. The f8 @ .8mm exit pupil = 6.4 or 187x. Under good conditions the extra mag will be very useable.

These are both really nice scopes, "A" and "C", no wrong choice.

When faced with such a quandery, I'd suggest using Werner Heisenberg's "Uncertainty Principle." Or just toss a coin - either would work. But if your lazy, want more time gazing at something up there, prefer not being annoyed by details other than your time-zone and location (GPS solves this) - B. If you're energetic, don't mind and/or enjoy hunting, and want a somewhat brighter view of x, y, or z - A.

Or continue to study the cosmos and see what you find you'd like to see the most. Then you can make an educated choice. Perhaps you'll have your own version of "The Big Bang" and expand your horizons and find, not only 'C' but, Options D, E, & F. It's all a question of balance. What draws you in, and what sort of personal details you live by. There is no right, or wrong, answer.

Sift & sort - then pull the trigger and get what you would get the most use out of. And enjoyment on your pathway to the cosmos.

"They're both very nice directions!" - The Scarecrow.

Dave

Well the decision has been made and the order placed.

A it is!

Plus got myself a great deal on power pack from Halfords!

Here's hoping for clear skies once its delivered.

Thanks for all your input and advice.

Good choice mate....i love mine. I only use batteries and if you manually slew it they last AGES !!!! lol but the powerpack is an investment cos if you have a spare laptop you can go all technified ;)

I connected my Dis150p up to my pc through Stellarium and it works a treat, plus you can venture down the webcam avenue at some point with all that power supply lol

Just on its own though its a fabulous scope, the delicate arms of M42 are beautiful, Jupiter is majestic.....and wait till you focus in on Saturn !!! awesome.

Good luck buddy...clear skies,

Lee.

3 minutes ago, LeeRich said:

Good choice mate....i love mine. I only use batteries and if you manually slew it they last AGES !!!! lol but the powerpack is an investment cos if you have a spare laptop you can go all technified ;)

I connected my Dis150p up to my pc through Stellarium and it works a treat, plus you can venture down the webcam avenue at some point with all that power supply lol

Just on its own though its a fabulous scope, the delicate arms of M42 are beautiful, Jupiter is majestic.....and wait till you focus in on Saturn !!! awesome.

Good luck buddy...clear skies,

Lee.

Funny you should mention laptops and stellarium and webcams!

Stellarium is installed and waiting :)

I also treated myself to a Celestron NexImage Solar System Imager :D

11 minutes ago, markthg said:

Funny you should mention laptops and stellarium and webcams!

Stellarium is installed and waiting :)

I also treated myself to a Celestron NexImage Solar System Imager :D

Hahahaha Fantastic ;) you have some great times ahead, i hope the stars appear for you and us all soon :D

Archived