Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from cloudy Abingdon

Fordy_638

Hello,

I've just recently purchased my first ever telescope, a nexstar evo 925. I got it cheap so I was able to upgrade from the telescopes in my budget.

Unfortunately it's been cloudy since I've got it so haven't been able to full test it yet, also the 'bargain' deal came at a cost; the RDF dovetail that should come on the mount is missing so I can't attach the RDF (until I get some sticky back tape) and the battery doesn't seem to be performing to its best (the pulsing charging LED stops, indicating that the battery is full, but the charge lasts about 30 mins).

I'm not sure if these are common faults? Or more to do with why I got it cheap?

I intend to get a Telrad and/or a RACI Finder for Xmas, so I'm not too bothered about the RDF situation, although will I definitely need it in the meantime to use the scope effectively?

Also if I need a new internal battery, does anyone have any suggestions on replacing it?

Lastly, how long does the new telescope/cloudy sky curse last?

Thanks in advance, and hello again!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,and welcome,fantastic scope.Try the dealer that you got the scope from,for a new battery,the scope has a 2 year warranty.....so should cover it.Or you could also get a power tank and plug it into,I think.As for the cloudy night`s they seem to last forever.......and ever.......and ever,you get the drift!!!!!.Practice with your new toy it will help when you go to use it,Oh and when you do get first light, we would like to hear of your experience.Des

I'm just down the road near the Ilsleys. I habe bought a few astro bits and pieces in the last month and was feeling guilty about the astro purchased induced Permacloud.

Now we know the real culprit!

Welcome to SGL. The clouds will pass.

Paul

Des thanks for the welcome.

As for the replacement, it's a no-go unfortunately because it bought it from a large online company from their 'warehouse' deals. It's was used/returned/known to have damage/components missing/repackaged (not all of them but just giving examples of what the deals consist of). Sadly it is kind of 'sold as seen' and the last 'deal' they had so no chance of swapping out.

I will persevere with the battery anyway as I gave it it's first deep charge last night so will test it hopefully later (at 0300 hrs :-s) and see.

Those battery packs do not appeal to me, although I think I may have to surrender at some point as I will no doubt need a dew heater and I can't find one that will run from the USB output.

Hello from the same neck of the woods. Abingdon does indeed have an active Astro group .... Not that I've ever been along as I wouldn't join a society that would have me as a member! :-)

How long does the new telescope curse last? A lifetime. But you get occasional time off i.e. clear skies for good behaviour.

Ourorboros, I think I will give them a shot once I'm up and running. Would be a nice sanity check, and a good chance to try before you buy with other people's equipment.

Ps. I Like the Groucho Marx quote, I'll warn them off about you :-)

Sorry Paul

Thanks for the welcome.

Do you know of any physical 'walk in and touch things' telescope shops in our area? A Google search just picks up Tring etc which are a bit of a journey. Would be nice to go and speak to experienced staff and see what I want instead of buying online.

Sorry. All of my scope purchases have been blind. I have got lucky so far.

The best option is to go to one of the larger star parties, such as the Stargazers Lounge event in Marchnext year (Forest of Dene). There will be a cornucopia of astro kit to see and look through. And the best thing is that the advice given will be based on good old fashioned experience.

Paul

PS. The quality of the advise improves exponentially with the introduction of Jaffa cakes / beer into the equation.

Welcome! I am local to you, near the Ilsleys also, and a member of Abingdon astrosoc. Some bad news about the cloud I'm afraid - I've also bought a new scope recently and the cloud is therefore likely to hover even longer over this bit of the county I'm afraid!

Chris

Sorry Paul

Thanks for the welcome.

Do you know of any physical 'walk in and touch things' telescope shops in our area? A Google search just picks up Tring etc which are a bit of a journey. Would be nice to go and speak to experienced staff and see what I want instead of buying online.

I don't know of any really local ones. There's a nice shop in Frome, but it's hardly local.

Fortunately we are well placed for the International Astronomy Show, which takes place in Warwickshire, where many suppliers exhibit their products. http://www.ukastroshow.com I assume there will be one held in 2016, but I haven't seen any announcements yet.

Welcome Fordy, from just up the road to you. I'm not a 'club' man, so I've not ventured into the Abingdon Astro Society, but I hear it is very active.

I think Tring Astro is the nearest. It's not too far away, and having recently visited them and bought my new 'scope from there, I can thoroughly recommend them. It is so much nicer to purchase that way, rather than over the internet, and their showroom is a feast for the eyes!

Ian

Archived