Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

JYG

Hi all,

Just purchased a Skyrover 115 refractor with GEM6 mount. got variety of eyepieces including 2/3x Barlow, T Ring for my Fujifilm camera, and am waiting on Plissl 35. 

I'm focusing on the moon whilst studying Astronomy and getting to know the equipment I've purchased. It is relatively easier as a brighter object to get good shots etc. But other than getting to know the equipment, I'm wondering if anybody can help me with the type of software I could use to produce high standard images? Are there any other accessories i need to get sharper detail of the lunar surface? I've got a 8-25 zoom which brings the moon up beautifully and would like to be able to produce images of equal detail.

I'm also trying to get the goto to work accurately and to track targets but I think I'm not polar aligning it sufficiently. Any tips on this would be great. At the moment I'm just enjoying tracking manually. Saw Saturn for the first time through a scope - amazing... I just need more!!! 

Thanks again

JYG

Welcome JYG. Can't help with any of your questions alas as I don't do imaging, etc, but hope all the great experts that I've seen on this forum so far can help in any way. They've helped me on a few questions I've posed. Hope you enjoy the views, and also your images when you get more experience. Cheers!

Hi and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us and hope that you enjoy your time here. Polar alignment is a pain in the rear end as far as I'm concerned..... one of those necessary evils sadly. This is a good guide to help or if you are using PHD2 then you could use the drift alignment method as described here

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for the warm welcome guys,

I've never heard of PHD2 and will check that out. Is it guidance software for the Goto comp system? I'll have a look anyway.. 

I've just discovered a link on youtube called Astronomy Shed giving a set up of the NEQ6 (sorry, earlier I put GEM6 instead)

I'm gonna go with this and see how it goes.

Is a 2x Barlow and DSLR enough to get decent pics if the lunar surface? I've also had a brief look at Registax but I've really got no idea other than layering repeated exposures?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure you've heard this a million times

Thanks again

JYG

Archived