Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally get to use my Oiii on the veil

bish

I have seen the veil from a dark site using my old 6" and 8" scopes with a UHC and had great views. My back garden is very badly light polluted so I had never bothered trying to look for it from home until I got my 10".

Tonight is clear but there is still the general town murk in the air and terrible light pollution. As I have not been to a dark site since buying my Oiii I thought I would give it a go. None of the stars look bright, but as I could just make out 52 Cygni  decided it may just be clear enough.  With my UHC there was a slight hint that the nebula was there. If I didn't know it was there I would not have seen it. Averted vision and a slight wobble of the scope confirmed I could see it - more of a subtle difference in contrast than pronounced nebula. With the Oiii it was easily visible with direct vision and I could actually make out detail in the nebula. If this is how works with bad light pollution and generally poor sky conditions then I can't wait to try it under dark skies.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is what I see when at dark sky but no colour using a OIII...http://www.princeton.edu/~rvdb/images/NJP/ngc6960.html

Yeah Calv pretty cool isn't it?! Even better when you trace it along Pickerings Wisp and over to the Easton Veil!  :icon_salut:

Good transparency gives these objects an almost 3D effect in dark skies with scopes over 10" I've found.

Long live the dob squad!  :grin:

post-20821-0-78423000-1441926907_thumb.j

Great result :smiley:

We go on about the O-III filters and the impact they have on some objects and I reckon that some folks think we exaggerate a little but the effect is really quite impressive. I've been observing Cygnus myself this evening using my O-III and identified 5 seperate elements of the Veil complex plus the Crescent, North America and Pelican Nebulae. Under my skies tonight there was nothing really showing at all without the filter.

Don't worry. You don't need a monster dob to get some startlingly good Veil views (unless you are looking for yet another excuse to go large). Don't forget the Eastern Veil (V. Bright) and the Pickerings Wisp in the middle (faint - needing darker sky).

Without spending ££££ on 100° eyepieces, the 10" seems to be a great balance between aperture and FOV. You have to go properly wide to get the whole complex in one FOV. By then it is so dim as to loose some of its impact.

Paul

this is what I see when at dark sky but no colour using a OIII...http://www.princeton.edu/~rvdb/images/NJP/ngc6960.html

I think that's what we all want to see!

Great result :smiley:

We go on about the O-III filters and the impact they have on some objects and I reckon that some folks think we exaggerate a little but the effect is really quite impressive. I've been observing Cygnus myself this evening using my O-III and identified 5 seperate elements of the Veil complex plus the Crescent, North America and Pelican Nebulae. Under my skies tonight there was nothing really showing at all without the filter.

I've heard it said many times and certainly believe the hype now!  What surprised me was how much better than a UHC the Oiii is on the veil.  With no filter it was totally invisible and I really didn't think I would see it with direct vision from my poor sky.

I tried the Veil last night from the backgarden but gave up as it was washed out.

I didn't think of using my Oiii....not observed in a long time so a bit rusty. Will give the Oiii a go next time thanks to this post

Go for it, hope you get another clear night soon.

Don't worry. You don't need a monster dob to get some startlingly good Veil views (unless you are looking for yet another excuse to go large). Don't forget the Eastern Veil (V. Bright) and the Pickerings Wisp in the middle (faint - needing darker sky).

Paul

I did overlook the parts in my excitement. I will check out Pickerings Wisp when I get to a dark site.

I did overlook the parts in my excitement. I will check out Pickerings Wisp when I get to a dark site.

Congrats Bish! the OIII sure makes a difference- you just may get the Wisp from home... I love using 21mm-30mm widefields on this object with the OIII in my very similar dob.

I managed to get six componants of the Veil last night with my 12" dob, 31mm Nagler and Lumicon O-III filter:

NGC 6992 - Main Eastern Veil strand

NGC 6995 - Clump of nebulosity at S end of 6992

IC 1340 - 2 curved bars of nebulosity just S of 6995

The Southwestern Knot - small patch of nebulosity quite a bit S of IC 1340 and just N of 2 stars. Needed AV most of the time

NGC 6960 - Main Western Veil segment

Pickerings Triangle -  to the E of the 6960’s N end. Associated with a group of stars. E side of this is more strongly defined than the W. Long thin ribbon of nebulosity extending from a triangular area.

I spent a good couple of hours teasing this detail out of it. There is more to come as well on a darker night. The Milky Way was barely showing last night so things could have been better.

Nice one John. I had the 16" out last night. Shame the skies weren't great, mag 18.9 at best and fairly rubbish transparency. No MW visible but that's about normal here. Be thankful for your skies! They could be far worse....

At least I managed to see the Veil with the 21e and Lumicon OIII. It showed a surprising amount of detail against the mucky atmosphere. Really just East & West segments visible, plus a faint hint of the 'Triangle.'

I do love IC1340, those lovely curved hooks, plus seeing the separation in the Witches Broom is great. Can't wait to talk the 16" back to a dark site.

Useful graphic here :

79ae7d2d0a9df7d433050dbe0156424d.jpg

Nice one John. I had the 16" out last night. Shame the skies weren't great, mag 18.9 at best and fairly rubbish transparency. No MW visible but that's about normal here. Be thankful for your skies! They could be far worse....

At least I managed to see the Veil with the 21e and Lumicon OIII. It showed a surprising amount of detail against the mucky atmosphere. Really just East & West segments visible, plus a faint hint of the 'Triangle.'

I do love IC1340, those lovely curved hooks, plus seeing the separation in the Witches Broom is great. Can't wait to talk the 16" back to a dark site.

Useful graphic here :

Thanks for posting this.

Here's a sketch I did last year with a 10" Dob and an Astronomik Oiii from so-so skies in the middle of a housing estate in Gloucester. It really is a fantastic group of objects. The Oiii is worth it for this view alone.

post-5915-0-43881000-1442053913_thumb.jp

Great report. The Veil is great in O-III, better than in UHC, I would say. O-III really brings out detail in the strands of nebulosity. Never had the patience or skill to sketch them as well as shown in this thread, however

Hmmm.........might have to get a O-III now  :wink:

Interesting to see individual comparisons between the OIII and UHC for this object, personally I get great views with my UHC  :smiley:

I've used an LP and UHC on the Veil from a dark site and they worked very well, but the Oiii is a big step up.

I have tried both UHC and OIII on the Veil. In my 10" Dob. The UHC gave some pleasing

views but it is the OIII that wins hands down.

I'm still struggling with the Rosette though.

Paul

I'm a recent convert too, having finally seen the Veil with an O-III properly. It really is fantastic!!! And the filter is useful on loads.

I only tried once or twice last winter and it didn't improve the Rosette much. This needs an Hb I think for best effect.

Also for me.. for the veil an OIII is the way!  :rolleyes:

Superb object! 

Useful graphic here :

Thanks for posting this Stu.  :smiley:

I am not a "Veil expert", but I do remember that when I saw (with OIII filter) it this summer under a dark sky, I could clearly see the Eastern, the Western and some faint nebulosity in the centre.

I don't think I could distinguish NGC6974 and NGC6979 from that 'central nebulosity'. I suspect this was made of those vertical clouds coming down from the top and leaving that empty area in the centre where there the cross is marked.. 

Are those two 'clouds' visible with small-ish telescopes or are they too faint? 

Archived