Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally get to use my Oiii on the veil

bish

I'm a recent convert too, having finally seen the Veil with an O-III properly. It really is fantastic!!! And the filter is useful on loads.

I only tried once or twice last winter and it didn't improve the Rosette much. This needs an Hb I think for best effect.

According to filter expert Dave Knisely, UHC or OIII are still best for the Rosette, Hb not very good.

90a30c20f0d198b3d63b085b60174d7e.jpg

http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/resources/by-dave-knisely/filter-performance-comparisons-for-some-common-nebulae/

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also for me.. for the veil an OIII is the way! :rolleyes:

Superb object!

Thanks for posting this Stu. :smiley:

I am not a "Veil expert", but I do remember that when I saw (with OIII filter) it this summer under a dark sky, I could clearly see the Eastern, the Western and some faint nebulosity in the centre.

I don't think I could distinguish NGC6974 and NGC6979 from that 'central nebulosity'. I suspect this was made of those vertical clouds coming down from the top and leaving that empty area in the centre where there the cross is marked..

Are those two 'clouds' visible with small-ish telescopes or are they too faint?

I'm not a Veil expert either Piero, more an enthusiastic amateur ;)

I've only viewed it once under excellent conditions in a large scope, a 15" Obsession and it was amazing. At SGL10 in the 16" it was low, and not brilliant but still nice.

In a widefield scope, the best I've done was in my Genesis f5 in Dorset using a 21mm Ethos. The whole thing fitted in easily and I could see East, West and Pickering's Triangle. The two 'hooks' in the Eastern Veil were nicely visible, as was the separation in the Witch's broom. That was before I had the Lumicon OIII so would expect better now but the Genesis was cracking for this object!

In the 8" Edge recently, I had better views but not of the whole complex at once. I guess I would say I've seen NGC6960, 6992, Pickering's triangle, NGC6995 and IC1340, that's it. I've not specifically looked for the other features, so will have a go next time I get under a decent sky. I intend to head for the South Downs with the 16" at least once whilst Cygnus is well positioned this year!

Hi Piero, you will love the filter you ordered, it is a very flexible one. In my 90mm I see the Wisp easily with a couple of very small, faint patches elsewhere- shadows really. What eyepiece are you going to use with the OIII?

Thanks Gerry for your comment. Now that I have more insights of what to expect, I will certainly look at it more deeply and try to recognise these additional features.  :smiley:

I have been using the OIII and UHC since last Winter and I love them both. I use them almost every time I am out. 

OIII. When observing the Veil, North America, Crescent (under dark sky), Heart & Soul nebulae, Rosette (and other large nebulae) I use my Pan24 (4mm ex. pup.). For the nebulae in Sagittarius or the Orion Nebula (for instance), either the Pan24 or the Nagler13 (2.2mm ex. pup.). For planetary nebulae, I start with the N13, then move to N7 (1.2mm ex.pup), and sometimes go to N5.2 (N13+PM2.5x; 0.9mm ex.pup.). 

UHC. Pretty much the same although I also used the N3.5 (0.6mm ex.pup) on certain bright planetary nebulae.

I screw the filter at the diagonal end, so only need to swap eyepieces and see which fits the best.  :smiley:

@Gerry, Stu (thanks for your answer!)

Specifically on the Veil, yeah, I saw the 'hooks' at the lower part of the Eastern Veil under dark sky. Looking at the photo, I suppose that those 'hooks' are IC1340.. They were really impressive. They reminded me of a big wave. Beautiful.  :rolleyes:

Hopefully the weather will improve in the next few days over here so that we can all have a nice look at this lovely target!  :rolleyes:

Archived