Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

greetings from Greece

stadaik

Hi there,

I m just one step before im gonna buy my first telescope. I have decided to be a dobsonian 10-12". Since that i m trying to find as much of info about the scope, the accessories and astronomy observing in general. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ho! Welcome to SGL fellow Greek!

You will find that this forum is very friendly and very interesting. You can learn tons of stuff about telescopes and astronomy.

Don't rush into buying the scope immediately. Read the threads here, ask around for help then make yoour mind. If there is anything you want to know about scopes, advice and stuff like that there are many members here that are willing to help and share their opinion with you.

Greetings from Athens

Tzitzis

Hello and welcome to the SGL. A Dob is a great choice for a first scope. Read up about them on this site, but one thing to remember is that they can be bulky and you have to think if you can transport them easily to your observing site.

thanks everyone. laudropb i m not willing to transport the scope (things change...). im gonna settle to my balcony. i m living about 9km from the main city. I do have a sky with light pollution (yellow/green area) but also i am new so i will have a lot of things to see before becoming jealous for darker skies...

Hi

I'm new to this forum too.

I got a great welcome and have quickly found some very useful info and received some great advice.  I'm sure you will too.

Enjoy the forum and ask away.  There's always plenty of advice.

One note of caution: I saw someone mention intelligent people on here.  Just don't count me in on that. :smiley:

Hi Stadaik and welcome to SGL, your decision to go for a large Dobsonian will give you a very wide choice of objects to observe in the night sky. Learning how to find them will be all part of a steady process, which can be helped by the forum and much literature which is written on the subject. I do not doubt, that having acquired your scope, you may have a multitude of inquiries to make, until then enjoy the forum :)

Thanks again everyone for your warn welcome. I have categorized my problems as BB (before buying) and AB (after buying). Right now i have a copy of pocket sky atlas and i ve already bought the celestron kit (something for first experimentation). Because im looking for a dob i dont have in my mind for mounts, diagonals, cameras etc., all my energy goes to eyepiece section. I m in love with barlows, zooms, naglers... and im gonna focus there (maybe forever)...

The AB era will bring astrojumping issues and dob upgrades

BGazing the windy side has lower light pollusion...so...

BGazing the windy side has lower light pollusion...so...

Well, that is a good start, although it might shake the mount too much. Has been almost 35 years since my last visit to Rhodes. :) Enjoy the fact that you are far away from the Athens light pollution halo.

Archived