Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Freezer suit for winter observing

Hi All

Even though its summer now

I wondered if its worth getting an industrial freezer suit for winter observing in the UK

I did my first winter sessions last year and found it so cold some nights i could hardly stand still long enough to get a decent view

Paul

Hi Paul.

Layers are good, because air is trapped between them. So whatever you have as your outer garment needs to be way larger than you'd normally buy.

My top jacket is XXXL, and I'm not that fat, honest !!

Regards, Ed.

You can get by with multiple layers of the clothing you have, but well designed cold weather gear make observing much more comfortable.  I recently purchased a one piece hooded snowmobile suit to replace my old insulated tractor overalls; I should have done this a couple of years ago.

Depends upon which part of the UK and where location wise you intend to use for observing. There have been suggestive hints of Summer here and Summer apparently is promised (forecast) for next week, so for now the down jacket and down vest can remain in the darker region of the wardrobe.

For warm feet try Bugga Boots. ( snow boots)  I have a pair and they are great. Only problem so far is you can sweat in them make you think you've wet feet from a leak.

Derek

Get TENA for men, that'll sort the problem out!

Seriously though, lots of layers.  My snowboarding gear makes an appearance from time to time.

I have used an industrial freezer suit for a few years now, best buy I've made for winter comfort.   :smiley:

Just purchased a new freezer suit off ebay for £40

:grin:  Cheers for the advise 

Paul

I had to google "freezer suit". Is one of those not overkill in a British winter?. For winter observing here in Ireland (ive observed in -11C, but average -5C)...........leather shoes (i wear every day),jeans,long sleeve top,t-shirt,hat,snoodie,gloves (mittens so i have a choice of full finger or fingerless).

When I was just starting astronomy in the cold of winter I found layering what I had in the way of t-shirts, shirts, fleeces and jumpers etc was leaving me feeling like the michelin man, but still cold! So I had a chat with some of the more active outdoorsy types I know and was recommended to get a Helly Hanson base layer (top) and extremities wind stopper gloves, and it proved a very good tip as you can keep warm without feeling restricted. Got mine from the local cotswold outdoor store, http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/

I got mine from machinemart. This is their replacement but basically the same all in one waterproof deal https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/dickes-black-padded-waterproof-overall-large?da=1&TC=SRC-waterproof

It's warm but I was always told layers are the key to keeping warm in cold weather so wear thermals etc underneath. The good thing with these all in ones is that you don't get a cold back when your top pulls out of your bottoms every time you bend over.

I thought my winter was bad, it was 55 degrees at 2am while observing here in January! Summer nights involve flip flops, shorts, and shirts are optional depending on humidity! More power to you UK folk! 

Surfing over here generally involves Wet Suits and f,f,f,f,f frezin'

God bless you.

Cheers,

Mark

Archived