SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Looking for reliable telescope companies that sell in the US

They will be available but I suspect a big import tax is applied.

Celestron, Meade and Orion are all (or were all) US based so get the advantage of avoiding the import taxes or duty.

Would have thought Vixen may have been US based.

TAL's are Russian and Russia/US are not best friends at present.

These http://www.talteleoptics.com/tal100rs.html

seem to be on US site for TAL's, just they omit a price. Based in Southeast Michigan.

They seem rare in the US, or well hidden.

Guessing the used side as in Astromart etc may be the better option - there is one group called Worth Point but cannot decide if they sell them or not.

The irony is that Skywatcher, Celestron and many Orion scopes are made by the same company now - Synta, who are based in China. Vixen are still a Japanese company as far as I know. Some of their manufacture is outsourced to China though.

You also have access to brands such as Astro Tech and Explore Scientific in the USA, which have good reputations.

This US based dealer seems to stock Skywatcher and a number of other brands:

https://www.astronomics.com/

TAL scopes are not being imported into the UK much, if at all, these days. I think dealers got a bit fed up with the varying quality control ?

The irony is that Skywatcher, Celestron and many Orion scopes are made by the same company now - Synta, who are based in China. Vixen are still a Japanese company as far as I know. Some of their manufacture is outsourced to China though.

Just like Volkswagens, Audis, Skodas, and Seats are basically the same car - all part of the VW group, and a very successful way to reduce costs in a global economy.

Just like Volkswagens, Audis, Skodas, and Seats are basically the same car - all part of the VW group, and a very successful way to reduce costs in a global economy.

I agree :smiley:

Archived