Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Canada

rml63

Hello all,

I am interested in planetary viewing and maksutov Newtonian telescopes. I am going to a telescope show later in the month and I hope to come home with a mak newt.

Mike

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

since your in ontario! you need to take what ever scope you get to Bruce Penensula! I lived between OwenSound and Meaford for quite a few years

welcome to SGL 

and when it comes to Scopes do your research, is your goal purely Visual observing, or will you transition into AP? it makes a big difference on Scope and Mount you shoot for!

there has been some Great advice given to me while on here, if your budget is 600, spend 300 on a scope and the other 300 on Good Quality EP's

once you have settled on a scope, refer to this spreadsheet plug in your numbers, though some of them may take some research to find out. and it will give you the best three EP's for that scope.

How interested in planetary viewing are you ?

I only ask as there are in effect 4 planets: Jupiter, Saturn Mars, Venus.

Venus is a fuzzy blob - being permanently cloud covered all you observe is the top of the cloud layer(s).

To me that leaves 3 planets.

In simple terms that is not a lot and Mars is not presently visible to us earthlings.

The scope will be useable on other objects but I half suggest that you consider the other objects when picking/purchasing a scope.

Where is the Astro Show ?

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Being from Montreal (now living in Paris) I can only say:

Go Habs Go !

Clear skies

Archived