Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DWB111 - The Propeller nebula in bi colour

swag72

This is a 2 pane mosaic - Following on from my mono image that was posted on SGL. This is my usual bi colour palette that saves on SII as it only uses Ha and OIII. There's no secret to it of you like it - Ha assigned channel R, and OIII assigned to G and B. Then I just fiddle with it until I get colours that I like in Colour select tool in PS. Sadly, what works for one image rarely works for another, so I've not been able to get a specific work flow to share as it's all very touchy feely.

I welcome your comments - Let me know what you think.

Details:

M: Avalon Linear Fast reverse

T: Takahashi FSQ85 0.73x

C: QSI690ws-g with 3nm Ha and OIII filter

Pane 1 - 11x1800s Ha, 10x1800s OIII

Pane 2 - 10x1800s, 9x1800s OIII

Totalling 20 hours of exposure time.

18055155179_b624fb7184_c.jpg

DWB111 - The propeller nebula in bi colour #Explored by Sara Wager, on Flickr

You can see a larger res image on my website http://swagastro.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/3/7/23377322/dwb111_bicolour_mosaic_final_web.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aha, I can ee this with my present holiday net connection and it looks splendid! That is one almighty nebula, too. I hope Tom isn't looking or we'll have to mosaic the thing till we find dark sky all around it!

Super result.

Olly

Aha, I can ee this with my present holiday net connection and it looks splendid! That is one almighty nebula, too. I hope Tom isn't looking or we'll have to mosaic the thing till we find dark sky all around it!

Super result.

Olly

You might want to reserve a day or two for that then...............

post-4295-0-81980100-1433269658_thumb.jp

Looks great Sara, but have you thought about zapping the star colour? (colour noise reduction) That would help take some of the blueness out of the stars. Or another approach would be to select all stars, expand a little, feather, then use the saturation tool on blues (with dropper selection from one of the stars) to select a very short colour range (using the L/R sliders) - then just desaturate a bit (-50 ish). (though you probably already know this) :)

Thanks all for your comments and nice to see this in it's full context Martin - Thanks for that :)

@Rob - I didn't think that the stars were too blue - But if you think they are then I will look at that more closely - Thanks :)

Archived