Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your Frac

Seeing Nakedgun's post showing that lovely vintage long focal length refractor has inspired me to show you the result of a little project I worked on last year.

My brothers best mate knows I'm "into astronmy" and offered me a telescope that one of his work colleagues was wanting rid off and was free to a good home. Of course, I jumped at the offer without even knowing what was being offered as I'd never wish a scope of any description to be taken to the tip.

I was warned that it came in a huge wooden box and there were loads of bits that looked damaged and or broken.

I'll keep the post short and I collected what I believe to be a Prinz 660 refractor complete with tripod, wooden coffin case and most of it's original accessories.

Unfortunately, the tripod was in a sorry state and I don't have space for the case, so the tough decision was made to discard these. Even though the 0.965" EPs are not in good condition, I have kept them for prosperity. I have also kept the solar projection screen which I have attached and used to view sunspots. 

I used a Vixen 36.4mm adapter (which I had read on another forum fits these old scopes perfectly) to convert the focus tube to accept modern 1.25" accessories. I bought some new 76mm tube rings (which are surprisingly difficult to find) and fitted these so I could use on my modern mounts. I currently use this scope mounted on my Vixen Porta II mount (bought from a fellow SGL member) for casual viewing. I fitted a Telrad finder which, although not very attractive, is far superior to the original finder scope, which I have also kept.

I absolutely love this old telescope,  which is probably a similar age to myself. Even though I have an incredible refractor in the form of a WO FLT-110, the Prinz 660, with a 76.2mm lens and focal length of 1250mm, is the scope that gets hauled out into the yard when I just want to get back to basics and have a bit of fun.

I have attached a couple of photos of my finished little "restoration" project, and it is a thing thing of beauty (despite the Telrad haha).

And to think it was heading for the tip. I shudder at the thought.

20200216_211534.jpg

20200216_211554.jpg

20200216_211656.jpg

20200216_211618.jpg

• Like 20

On 21/02/2020 at 14:04, Stu said:

Just fitted an original Vixen MD-5 single axis drive to the Super Polaris mount for my Vixen FL102s. Looking good, perfect for some nice relaxed planetary and lunar viewing.

20200221_203715.jpg

20200221_203348.jpg

The matching color scheme throughout is pleasing to the eye.

• Haha 1

On 16/02/2020 at 21:10, Stu said:

I am supposed to be selling kit off, but couldn't resist this when I saw it. A rather lovely 34 year old Vixen FL102s f8.8. I now have three 4" classics in my possession; Televue Genesis, Tak FC100 and Vixen Fluorite at f5, f7.4 and f8.8. Quite fun :) the Genesis and Vixen side by side will be quite a combo.

It is in lovely condition and I've had some excellent views so far, splitting 32 Orionis the other night, more to come. I want to spend some time with it side by side with the FC100 to see how it does. I've been using it with the original Vixen prism, but if it stays with me it may gain a Moonlite so I can have dual speed and use my other diagonal. Time will tell.

I am certainly looking forward to some lovely views of Jupiter, Saturn and Mars through it later this year. Venus has already been pretty impressive.

20200208_172853.jpg

20200208_172957.jpg

20200208_172922.jpg

That's like a dream scope right their, let alone with it's stable mates, very lucky boy... I'm very envious... still though you don't have vixen green half piller, and I do... I could be tempted in to a straight swap.. 😈🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 21/02/2020 at 22:04, Stu said:

Just fitted an original Vixen MD-5 single axis drive to the Super Polaris mount for my Vixen FL102s. Looking good, perfect for some nice relaxed planetary and lunar viewing.

20200221_203715.jpg

20200221_203348.jpg

That's a fantastic, set-up Stu!  The Vixens always stop me in my tracks whenever or wherever I see them. In 2005 I was at the Astronomy Centre in Todmorden on an open evening event. I was using the Vixen FL102 in the main dome, as out on the moors it was wild. Everyone who looked through that scope on that night was wowed by its stunning planetary performance. Often, my passion for the Vixen would rub some members up the wrong way -  just a little; hard to imagine i know! (This was always light hearted banter and never anything nasty), but the Vixen did have its loyal followers and nothing would sway them, much to the annoyance of the reflector and SCT users.  One elderly man came over to the Vixen late in the evening, took a long hard look through the eyepice at a glorious Saturn with open rings, and standing back said "I've looked through all the telescopes tonight. Why is this one 'so much better' than the others?" Fine praise indeed from someone with no axe to grind. Of course me being me, couldn't resist rubbing it in a little, but i always position myself for a quick get-away, just incase Tony, a giant of a man who was in love with his Meade SCT, got it into his head to kill me. It was all good fun! Happy days!!

I love the Vixen green curtain backdrop too. It's very telescope showroon ish! :thumbsup:

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @mikeDnight, it is a very lovely and classic setup. I had it side by side with the Mewlon the other night and it just looks so sharp in comparison although admittedly the Mewlon was at much higher power. There was a C11 there too which unfortunately wasn't very well collimated and the views reflected that.

It seems to take x300 very easily. Will be interesting to put it next to the FC100, likely very similar performance I should think at similar powers. I'm tempted to put a Moonlite on it, although I do like the original quirky setup it has now with the 1.25" prism diagonal.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Vicky050373 said:

I feel as though my vintage frac has really let page 99 down in the "serious glass" category LOL 

Not at all Vicky that was my first ever scope the prinz 600 remember my first view of Saturn rings I was 10 

Edited by garryblueboy
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vicky050373 said:

I feel as though my vintage frac has really let page 99 down in the "serious glass" category LOL 

Don't be silly Vicky, yours was a very worthy entry 👍👍👍, can't beat a nice old long focal length frac.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, garryblueboy said:

Had a Golden opportunity to acquire this wonderful example and decided it won’t come around again so here it is 

987A445E-B384-46AF-9235-F131D8DC906D.jpeg

4A4AEEDA-DDF3-407F-B77A-E356DA3AC3E3.jpeg

4E7D226D-36B5-4A3B-8B0A-3A2DFFA0904D.jpeg

4AA65EDF-5822-45E5-8F6F-768DE242E970.jpeg

I'm guessing you won't be spending anything at the Kettering Practical Astronomy Show next month Gary? :laugh2:

34 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I'm guessing you won't be spending anything at the Kettering Practical Astronomy Show next month Gary? :laugh2:

So many lovely fracs on display. Gary that really is a thing of beauty. I would love the opportunity to view the Moon and Planets with that scope. To say I am envious is an under statement.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Vicky050373 said:

I don't think your scope lets anything down Vicky. I notice the circle K symbol on its focuser, which I'm presuming indicates it was made by KOWA? Anyhow, many of today's astronomers were brought up on such Japanese jewels, and I'm certain many remain deeply appreciative of them. I certainly do! Even now when I see a classic refractor like that, my heart still misses a beat!!

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

So many lovely fracs on display. Gary that really is a thing of beauty. I would love the opportunity to view the Moon and Planets with that scope. To say I am envious is an under statement.

Thanks Mark it was a rare opportunity hope it pays off 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, garryblueboy said:

Had a Golden opportunity to acquire this wonderful example and decided it won’t come around again so here it is 

987A445E-B384-46AF-9235-F131D8DC906D.jpeg

4A4AEEDA-DDF3-407F-B77A-E356DA3AC3E3.jpeg

4E7D226D-36B5-4A3B-8B0A-3A2DFFA0904D.jpeg

4AA65EDF-5822-45E5-8F6F-768DE242E970.jpeg

Lovely scope Gary. Did you not just downsize from a 150 to a 130mm though? Have you still got the 130mm AP?

On 23/02/2020 at 21:38, Vicky050373 said:

Not at all, I wouldn't be paying too much attention to what I say!!  As it happens and don't  tell the others, i was actually talking about about your scope...  a nice vintage frac in that condition is a serious piece of glass.. 

• Like 1