SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show us your Frac

10 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

I don't think your scope lets anything down Vicky. I notice the circle K symbol on its focuser, which I'm presuming indicates it was made by KOWA? Anyhow, many of today's astronomers were brought up on such Japanese jewels, and I'm certain many remain deeply appreciative of them. I certainly do! Even now when I see a classic refractor like that, my heart still misses a beat!!

I looked up the "Circle K" when I first acquired the scope as it took me a while to pin down exactly which scope it was as there seems to have been a few very similar looking scopes with various branding. The optics aren't quite in the same league as my WO FLT-110, BUT... I have to say that the Prinz 660 does get dragged out into the garden more often for an enjoyable viewing session. Plus I am up and running in quite literally two minutes! 

As a quick update to my previous post, I have now re-attached the original finder scope, and also fitted the lovely long slow motion control knobs which I removed from the original mount which was unfortunately unsalvagable. I believe these may possibly be made from Bakelite, as they have that look and feel. I have fitted these controls to the Vixen Porta II mount and very smart they look too :)

20200223_221622.jpg

15825819214209168935679194412999.jpg

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Not at all, I wouldn't be paying too much attention to what I say!!  As it happens and don't  tell the others, i was actually talking about about your scope...  a nice vintage frac in that condition is a serious piece of glass.. 

Thank you for your lovely comments. I wasn't offended by your previous post,  and honestly meant my response to be light hearted. I really do love that scope and can't believe it would now be in landfill if my brother's mate hadn't have mentioned me to his work colleague. I was gutted I couldn't save the original mount, but I feel it important to keep things as useable as possible as there wouldn't be any point saving them if not. I am so pleased I found the Vixen adapter to enable the use of modern eyepieces without having to irreversibly change the scope. The original solar projection screen is an absolute hoot to use, and it's a shame we don't have many sunspots of late. Anyway, just wanted to thank you all for your kind comments and reassure you all that I wasn't being at all negative in my original response.

Vicky :)

• Like 3

Totally agree, I just spent the weekend sprucing up an old tal eq mount, came.out very well.. another bit if astro heritage destined for a renewed life under the stars..  I did read it light hearted, but these days... well who knows some times..

Enjoy that frac..

Fozzie 

Having heard much about the three-inch Tak I thought adding one to my backyard arsenal a good idea, so in April 2014, I did. My Borg 76ED stays in, and is used when, I take the travel trailer out to the desert alongside my dob (or if the sky conditions preclude setting up the dob at all), and unpacking it for use at home is more trouble than bringing this Tak from the house. I have no complaints about the views the FC-76 DC f/7.5 provides. Tak 6x30 finder in blue.

1823192180_IMGP5278-Copy.thumb.JPG.b7622c4ce4134c69f0c122f89783a3b8.JPG 

Here it rides on a Meade LX70 mount, a nice lightweight and smooth GEM, they could be had at substantial discount during the recent discontinuation of them.

Pictured is the Baader prism diagonal, but I would like to try the Tak 5/4" prism to see if it differs at all.

282241029_IMGP5280-Copy.thumb.JPG.1890bc9a9a53bc205f837d985ad20ef2.JPG

Last image with the Tak Extender Q 1.6x for nights when the seeing is best.

762012143_IMGP5283-Copy.JPG.92dc751b95f90efbb4e2fa066cc6a1af.JPG

Edited by Nakedgun
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Thursday's delivery was my new Vixen APZ which completes my new line up: Tak FC100dc & APZ and for me it's a match made in heaven. This was my second delivery in the row that came with clear skies (the Tak also came with clear skies), so I got first light on the day of delivery! 

Tak-APZ-1.jpg

Tak-APZ-2.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Solar B said:

Stunning set up Sky-J .. Perfect even 😎

Brian 

Thanks, it is indeed and also quick to set up and very portable!

I've already bagged 3 M's hadn’t seen before, bring in the rest...

• Like 2

I should rename this thread the Takahashi thread! Seriously though, I can't believe this thread's still going 5 years after I started it! A testament to how revered refractors are to us and there are some amazing examples on this thread. Keep it going :)

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, Lockie said:

I should rename this thread the Takahashi thread! Seriously though, I can't believe this thread's still going 5 years after I started it! A testament to how revered refractors are to us and there are some amazing examples on this thread. Keep it going :)

It's the variety I like, from doubles to quads, apo to achro, short to long, white to those beautiful skylights in black and bronze.. even some bino fracs. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Nakedgun said:

That's quite an extension on your finder, certainly moves it up out of the way.

What sky atlas is that on the table?

The atlas is the Cambridge Star Atlas which is new to me and exactly what I’ve been looking for for ages!

Regarding the finder, it has indeed added some height. I normally prefer an RDF which will work well on this extension but I’ve been wanting to try an RACI finder too. Will see if it stays!

Back in 2003 I was at the local landfill (an employee, no less) when one of my colleagues brought to my attention that someone had discarded a telescope, so I hurried over to have a look and found a Meade (Mizar) model 320, an 80 f/11 achromat on a GEM. When new, these retailed for around $650 as I recall from the ads I've seen, rather expensive.

1043101486_IMGP5424-Copy.thumb.JPG.733867d12b7e4334422e75bb1e95525c.JPG

Its condition made it obvious that it had sat outside somewhat exposed to the weather. It had a straight-through erecting prism in place of the 5/4" visual back and with the landfill's proximity to the ocean I surmised it had sat on a balcony and was used as a spotting scope to look over the beach and ships passing by. The wood tripod legs were scuffed up, the aluminum mount had surface corrosion and other metal parts had some rust from exposure to salt air and the OTA has many light scratches on its exterior. No finder was present so I added one from a previous find.1671524439_IMGP5428-Copy.thumb.JPG.d222c8817e0184de5935b6c9faea193d.JPG  

To my delight, I discovered all these blemishes wee superficial, and that it was mechanically sound. These packages were well made, the OTA even having a collimatable lens cell.

1284220817_IMGP5429-Copy.thumb.JPG.d637e1d87ba4213b86bf77fae906a38d.JPG

This scope produces the best images I've seen through an 80mm achromat, and the mount is so smooth that during high-power viewing the object can be kept centered in the eyepiece almost effortlessly. This is the smoothest GEM I've operated by hand. When these were current, I would not have spent the kind of money they demanded, so if not for this find I should never have experienced just what Japanese builders were turning out for this genre of astronomical gear. 

1036453242_IMGP5423-Copy.thumb.JPG.5dfd3e4ac50ab2b38cb4388c9ac7267e.JPG

Sometimes, one gets lucky.

Edited by Nakedgun
  • Like 11

You all have some real beaut's I'm seeing in this thread. Definitely drool worthy! My one and only refractor, my humble ED80 could probably be used as a finder scope for some of you.

IMG_1325.jpeg

• Like 9

On 01/03/2020 at 12:14, Telescope40 said:

Hello. Second first light for my SW 150 ED. 
Panzerfaust on a Skytee 2 ! 
Regards.  John 

C1205D65-BFB9-4CE8-B257-F29F3AD8BCD0.jpeg

Tell us you're not forced to observe with that obnoxious light from your neighbor!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nakedgun said:

Tell us you're not forced to observe with that obnoxious light from your neighbor!

I had thought exactly the same thing as well, as a sufferer of next door overlighting on three sides for me, I feel your pain.

On 01/03/2020 at 20:14, Telescope40 said:

Hello. Second first light for my SW 150 ED. 
Panzerfaust on a Skytee 2 ! 
Regards.  John 

C1205D65-BFB9-4CE8-B257-F29F3AD8BCD0.jpeg

Hello @Alan White @Naked gun. 
Fraid so 😥😥

I was out having a lunar session with the new frac so didn’t find it an issue last Sunday. However I do make use of a large piece of strong cardboard and wedge it between the top of my fence and the soffit of the neighbours garage. With this in place and by jibbing off down my garden as far as I can go it does mitigate the light to a manageable degree. 
Why the neighbour likes his garage door lit up is beyond me but hey.  As for the whole back elevation that’s lit up, I’m completely baffled. It’s a 3 storey “town house” - I’m not inclined for a chat. Don’t think I’ve spoke to him directly in the 3 years I’ve lived here. No loss I assure you all. 
John 

Edited by Telescope40
  • Like 1

And if I wanted to resell it (no chance) as "brand-new" I probably could. Purchased in late November and have only had it out under the stars once. Stuff just keeps happening and I cant get outside. Stupid weather. 😲

• Like 1