Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Photoshop - To Get - Or Not ?

AlistairW

Hello,

Thinking about some post processing imaging software. Photoshop obviously gets mentioned a lot, but the full current version is quite expensive. I do see deals for older versions on ebay, but what should I be on the look out for. Or is Photoshop not everyone's cup of tea for post processing ?

Thanks

Alistair

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A two machine license for Photoshop CC and Lightroom5 under the Adobe Photoshop for Photographers scheme cost less than £10 a month...

As I shoot loads of shots a month I reckon it's good VFM for me as i use recently released DSLR's and shoot raw files onky that are not directly supported in earlier versions..

You will need PC running Winows 7 or later or a Mac...

This may sound like an odd question but what type of images are you taking, AP or Terrestrial? Do you have 32 or 64 bit PC?

I started with the free GIMP software, similar to PS but found it to be too complicated for me.

I now have older versions of 64bit CS4 extended and PS Elements 5, but for daytime Terrestrial use I'm finding DXO Pro Elite to be really handy for bailing me out of trouble. (trial versions of DXO 10 are available, 30 days free fully functional, water mark after 30 days).

Lightroom is another suite.

Best,

Rich

If you are in education teacher/student or know of anyone who is and dont they mind you using there details then you can get a dramatic price reduction on photoshop. Theres always gimp free. Or try out the free trials on pixinsight or astro art .

A two machine license for Photoshop CC and Lightroom5 under the Adobe Photoshop for Photographers scheme cost less than £10 a month...

As I shoot loads of shots a month I reckon it's good VFM for me as i use recently released DSLR's and shoot raw files onky that are not directly supported in earlier versions..

You will need PC running Winows 7 or later or a Mac...

Thats what I did, nice easy payments.......also bought PI........I like both.

I believe the free CS2 version is available and you have to use the registration number or something that is on the download page.  

A limited version must surely be better than not having it at all if you can't afford to buy a later version.  

Carole 

I was using an old version of PS in my beginning days of AP (a couple of years). I've recently downloaded the trial of PixInsight and will be purchasing when it expires. PI has a steep learning curve (another one) but it is a great piece of software designed specifically for AP.

That said: PI does have it's lovers and haters. There are other alternatives to PI which may also be worth looking at, namely, AstroArt, Nebulosity, Maxim DL. 

I could be starting to go off topic here as Nebulosity, Maxim DL and PI all do other stuff as well as post processing work. See this link

I found this example of what was achieved using PI compared to PS useful.

If you download the Paintshop Pro trail and wait a week or so before buying as they start sending money off offers, I saved £20 on my purchase last month.

Gradient Extrminator works as does HDLV but the former does not retain the registration details so I have to enter those each time I run the plugin but it is not a problem.

@Merlin does your version of PSP retain the registration details for Gradient Extermiantor?

Another question about photoshop - what do people actually use as i am not sure i understand all the different versions - there seems to be CS6 or Lightroom or Elements etc- plus many other options. Whats the thing i sholud be looking for for post processing. I am looking for software less than £100 and it does not have to be the most up to date version.

Archived