NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newbie from Pennsylvania

JackMac

Hello,

I am a real newbie since I have just recieved my first Telescope this Christmas.  My wife bought me an Orion 100MM Skyscanner TableTop Reflector, and my son bought me Bushnell 10X50 Binoculars.  I'm very happy with both and I have used both on my back deck.  However it has been quite cold and I've pretty much kept my viewing inside.  I realize there is some distortion looking through the window, but I admit it, I'm  a wuss and do  not like the cold weather. At least I get some use using my telescope and binoculars with this lousy weather.  I also purchased a Celestron Accesory kit with a 2x magnifier, a 6MM and a 15MM eyepiece and cleaning cloth.  I have viewed Orion Nebula, Pleiades and of course the moon.  My first viewing was the moon and I was gobsmacked with the view.  I have never seen the moon like that with my own eyes.  I have a lot to learn and look forward to reading posts from many of you more experienced Stargazers.

Greetings and welcome to SGL! Nice to welcome you aboard. You're bound to have a thousand questions in a hobby as expansive as the universe itself - and you've chosen the right place! We tend to love questions here and enjoy helping folks learn. A very friendly bunch here - so pull up a chair and make yourself at home.

Clear Skies & Windows,

Dave

Hi JackMac and welcome to the forum. Binoculars are great for observing, especially nice wide open views of the Milky Way but a scope with a little magnification can provide some great views too and it can be very addictive, particularly on relatively near objects like the moon.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy yours stay here.

Archived