Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from Scunny!

pete910

Just joined,  names Pete

Finally took the plunge after the mrs has been after one for ages and bought a celestron 130slt as a late B/day presant . Did a good bit of reading into telescopes and that came up quite alot as a good beginner/intermidiat scope. So sorry if the weather has been bad(Not that it's arived yet :sad: )

What finally spured me into it was the Mrs and I was trying to see if we could spot the comet Lovejoy with a pair of Skymaster 25x100 binoculars with bipod :embarassed:   Not an easy task for beginers. Never did see it , but  what really got me was the view of Oroin (the belt) through said binoculars  :grin:

So, now if I've done my homework 130SLT is a Netonion reflector , with a  motorised altazimuth mount (GoTo) Been the tinkering sort + a *nix user I've found Stellerium to be quite a nice program to use , Not to complicated and seems fairly featured. Also been looking into controlling the Telescope with Stellerium too.   I know there is there wifi adapter but not at those prices  :huh:  That's for another thread in the relevent section though.

Just thought I'd say hi to you experianced guys/gals and fellow newbies .

Pete.

PS. I'm terrible at spelling and the spell check don't seem to work here  so please forgive me if I have.  :embarrassed: I will get the Mrs to proof read it when I can

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL, Pete :hello:

Looks like you've a lovely scope which should give a lot of enjoyment. Setting out can often be a daunting experience, so please don't hesitate in asking questions if they ever arise :icon_biggrin:.

Look forward to meeting you on the boards.

Hi and welcome to SGL I hope you enjoy your new scope I had the SW130 goto and had that was wired to the scope and worked perfectly with stellarium not sure of your connections options on your handset. Anyway enjoy your amazing journey around the universe in the company of SGL :cool:

Hi Pete and Mrs, welcome to SGL, enjoy your new scope when it arrives, it should have been possible to see Lovejoy in the 25x100 bins but locating it may be the problem, try the Heavens Above site for precise up to date location details. Another very useful aid to your observing, would be to obtain a copy of the ever popular "turn Left @ Orion, written with the small scope user in mind, enjoy :)

WOW, What a welcome :Envy:

Thanks guys.

Hi Pete & welcome to SGL.

This map should help you find Comet Lovejoy -  http://www.skyandtelescope.com/wp-content/uploads/Lovejoy2_BW.pdf

Hehe, was using that but I think our skills failed :embarassed:

Good news is the scope arrived today . Mrs was well pleased, She proceded to put it together when she got in from work.   Down side is the cloud cover ..... Damn British weather ....

Never mind, Looks like it may be clear tomorrow and Monday. Hoping to have some success with both lovejoy and the fly by of bl86.     ooo look at me with all the numbers/names  :grin:

Pete.

Archived