Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Trio using 130pds with Atik 460: IC 1795, IC 1871, IC 1805

Epicycle

Hi,

around the full moon there were some clear nights and I had a better opportunity to test thoroughly the combination 130pds+Atik 460.

Here is a trio of images around the Heart and Soul. Images were taken with Astrodons Ha 5nm and OIII 3nm filters. Processing in

Pixinsight and PS. Mount: HeQ5 guided off-axis.

I start with the core of IC 1805:  11x30m Ha and 6x30m OIII

post-25876-0-15506600-1415904890_thumb.j

More details and full resolution at astrobin: get.jpg

Next is IC 1871: 14x30m Ha and 10x30m OIII

post-25876-0-01336900-1415905050_thumb.j

More details and full resolution at astrobin: get.jpg

FInally, IC 1795. I decided to go deep on this one and I think it paid off: 30x30m Ha and 13x30m OIII:

post-25876-0-14394400-1415905174_thumb.j

Astrobin: get.jpg

I very much like the resolution that the pair 130pds+Atik 460 produces. Comments welcome! Thanks for looking

Epicycle

I think it's safe to say that combo works rather well.....! A superb set of images.

Interesting that you have captured those around the full moon. Do you think the fact that you can image with so much moonlight is down to the Astrodon filters, especially the OIII filter, compared to something like the 'standard' Baader 7 or 8nm filters?

Do you also have a method for imaging when there is loads of cloud cover......?!!? :grin:

Thanks for comments everyone, much appreciated

I think it's safe to say that combo works rather well.....! A superb set of images.

Interesting that you have captured those around the full moon. Do you think the fact that you can image with so much moonlight is down to the Astrodon filters, especially the OIII filter, compared to something like the 'standard' Baader 7 or 8nm filters?

Do you also have a method for imaging when there is loads of cloud cover......?!!? :grin:

Cheers Gav. The Ha filter is quite resistant to moonlight, although I did have some gradients to deal with. With the oiii, I was lucky. For instance, last night I thought

clouds will eventually ruin things but I left the rig imaging until 5am anyway and went to bed at 11:30 after a meridian flip. In the morning, I was very surprised to see that almost all subs were usable! A little miracle. It's almost always the opposite...

There are these news narrowband filters, AstroZarkov 1nm that cut through any cloud cover, but they are very expensive...

E.

The Ha filter is quite resistant to moonlight, although I did have some gradients to deal with. With the oiii, I was lucky. For instance, last night I thought clouds will eventually ruin things but I left the rig imaging until 5am anyway and went to bed at 11:30 after a meridian flip. In the morning, I was very surprised to see that almost all subs were usable! A little miracle. It's almost always the opposite...

There are these news narrowband filters, AstroZarkov 1nm that cut through any cloud cover, but they are very expensive...

Wow, in these dodgy weather times, you are very brave to leave it while you slumber! I'm only ever brave enough to snooze on the sofa with quite regular checks. Does lead to bleary eyes the next day though.

Sign me up for a set of the AZ 1nms, whatever the price!

Your images convince me that a set of Astrodons will have to go on the Christmas list!

Who needs a fancy APO ey? ;)  The 130 does it again!

Im just waiting to finish off my megamarathon of this area, hopefully it will be completed this evening (having to replace moon damaged subs).

Just what I was thinking. These little Newts (now two of them since Epicyle has joined Uranium in posting with them) really are proving to be class acts. This is a devastating set of images. My favourite is the first with slightly more understated extremes in the dynamic range and saturation but all are top drawer.

I assume that they won't cover a large chip (is this so?) but used in the UK with small sensitive monochrome CCDs these scopes are mighty photon hoovers and are giving lovely star shapes and deep data. The apos are on the run! (Yes I did say that... :eek: )

:grin: lly

Thanks for the comments! I'm very glad people like the images.

Olly: I suspect if you go for large chips you'll run into all sorts of issues. Rob was very successful with the Kodak 8300 chip, but the Sony 694 is less of a challenge,

Epicycle.

Archived