NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The True extent of the Pacman ........NGC281 in mono

swag72

I have always found this target to be flat and uninteresting - It is normally represented as just a shape coming out of the darkness of space with next to nothing of interest around it.

As there was a full moon I decided to train my imaging train onto a nice bright nebula and see what I could find - Really hunt down some fain detail. It must be there, right? But in a full moon environment I was on a hiding to nothing really ... I suppose :)

I'll let you decide for yourself if you think I've captured the faint stuff. Let me know if you've ever seen it before as well. As the Pacman is part of a much larger giant molecular cloud (GMC) I wonder if I've actually managed to capture that detail.

Details:

M: Avalon Linear Fast Reverse

T: Takahashi FSQ85 0.73x

C: QSI690-wsg with 3nm Ha filter

33x2700s in Ha - A total of 33 hours of total exposure in 45 minute subs.

post-5681-0-37604400-1413358553_thumb.jp

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There she goes again, upping the anti, just when we all thought it was safe...! 45minute subs hey, rock on! And yes, there is most definitely a great deal of faint stuff going on in there. Though I'm afraid your maths is sub O-Level standard. What is 33 x 3/4?!

Does this image dispel the theory that 3 subs of 15 minutes gives the same image as 1 sub of 45 minutes? Was that even a theory anyway?!

I doubt I've taken 33 hours in the total of all my images!!

Even on my uncalibrated work monitor, I can see oodles of detail in the bottom and around the main 'edge' of the usual shape.

Fantastic detail Sara!

You never fail to impress Sara :)

The detail here is absolutely solid and not stretched so much that it becomes a noise hazard ! Wonderful rolling clouds and a background just as I like it. Full of " Stuff ".

Another success,

Dave.

The faint stuff has all the look of being genuine to me and not a gradient. Very hard to know when you're in uncharted faintness! I think this is the real stuff of AP, not just returning to what's known but digging out the dimmest. Wonderful.

I know you're very PI these days, Sara, but I'd beg you to do the bright parts of the Pacman as a layer in PS and bring back the contrasts.

Oh God, I bet Harry will see this and then I'll be in for it!

Olly

Yes this really looks like the real thing to me and no, I've never seen the faint parts around Pacman like this. I did a quick search on the web and found one inverted imgae that showed hints of the outer parts but nothing close to what you accompished. Great shot Sara!

/Lars

Thanks all.

@Olly - PI? Me? Are you having a laugh? This is all PS!! :D why would you think that?

A grovelling apology has been sent via our private correspendence and I hope that S has not excommunicated me for this gaff!

I would ease down the brightness of the brightest bits though, to restore their contrasts. The outlying regions I have certainly never seen before on the net.

Olly

Archived