NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M31 with the new QSI camera!!

theo

It's that time of year again and I have been quite eager to see how the new camera (well relatively new) performed on M31, a target i'd only ever imaged with my old OSC ccd. The skies were looking good on this night and the moon was out of the way so a good opportunity to have a go at imaging this beautiful galaxy once again.

The image is a total integration of around 7hrs including the Ha for the emission regions and taken with my WO ZS80mm Apo.

I have spent quite a bit of time processing this and have gone through many iterations but I think i'm happiest with this one.

I hope you like it!!

Pete

post-22012-0-06232300-1411594129_thumb.p

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stunning Pete, properly beautiful! Another great image, very well done! Yet again you've gone your own way with the colours and it has really worked well.

What is the breakdown of subs on this?

I am currently struggling with the weather to gather a shed load of data on this same target. Hopefully tonight will bring the last of the subs in.

What next for you?

Thanks all, much appreciated.

Tony,

The camera is a QSI683wsg.

Gav,

Subs were 20 x 800s for L, 8 x 300s bin 2 each for RGB and 4 x 800s for Ha.

Next target...not too sure to be honest, maybe a revisit to M33. I am really looking forward to seeing how this camera performs on smaller galaxies with the 12" at longer FL's though maybe not M33...M51, M63 are perfect for this.

Pete

Subs were 20 x 800s for L, 8 x 300s bin 2 each for RGB and 4 x 800s for Ha.

Next target...not too sure to be honest, maybe a revisit to M33. I am really looking forward to seeing how this camera performs on smaller galaxies with the 12" at longer FL's though maybe not M33...M51, M63 are perfect for this.

Pete

Interesting, the bin 2 for colour certainly seems to work fine. My recipe is quite different and with an ED80, so will be interesting to see how the results differ. Though with all the variables of processing it's in the realms of apples and pears!

Small object & long FL - I'm sure you will like it! I look forward to having a go at M1 with my C8 soon.

Thanks for the great comments everyone, much appreciated.

Pete,

The QSI683 has a chip size of 18mm x 13,5mm with 5.4micron pixels. When imaging with the WO ED80 using my 0.8 reducer/flattener I get a field of view of 141 X 106 arcmin.

Regards,

Pete

Archived