Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scope selfies !

cotterless45

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked John's picture with his matt black giant refractor so much I decided to pimp out my old Helios 4" f/10 achro in a similar style (previous fairly scratched up piano black so it needed something doing to it). Also flocked the inside whilst I was at it and made a new carbon fibre effect flocked dew shield.

post-16129-0-43059300-1409060494_thumb.j

I liked John's picture with his matt black giant refractor so much I decided to pimp out my old Helios 4" f/10 achro in a similar style (previous fairly scratched up piano black so it needed something doing to it). Also flocked the inside whilst I was at it and made a new carbon fibre effect flocked dew shield.

Your photo with the mirror in the background reminds me of a similar photo of my Wife and I which is on the refrigerator. 

For the longest time, she would look at it with a puzzled look, but couldn't figure out why ? Then one evening she burst out laughing realizing I had touched up my bald spot with a brown felt marker.   :grin:

Your photo with the mirror in the background reminds me of a similar photo of my Wife and I which is on the refrigerator. 

For the longest time, she would look at it with a puzzled look, but couldn't figure out why ? Then one evening she burst out laughing realizing I had touched up my bald spot with a brown felt marker.   :grin:

Lol excellent work :D

More beardy stubble I'm afraid but at least I'm looking a little more cheerful than that last one :rolleyes2:

Self with 12" F/5.3 dob:

Are you tall John? The 12" f5.3 doesn't look as cumbersome as I thought it would. The 10" is a handy size for me but wouldn't want to lug anything too much bigger.

Are you tall John? The 12" f5.3 doesn't look as cumbersome as I thought it would. The 10" is a handy size for me but wouldn't want to lug anything too much bigger.

I'm 6 ft. The Orion Optics 12" F/5.3 is not as fat as the Skywatcher / GSO 12" tubes but a little longer of course. It's aluminium and lightweight which is important to me - the total weight of the scope is about the same as your 250PX dob. When Moonshane made the mount for me we tailored the design to put the eyepiece of the scope at a nice height for observing while standing, which is my preferred way.

@ Nick / Cotterless: Is that make up or Photoshop ? :smiley:

I'm 6 ft. The Orion Optics 12" F/5.3 is not as fat as the Skywatcher / GSO 12" tubes but a little longer of course. It's aluminium and lightweight which is important to me - the total weight of the scope is about the same as your 250PX dob. When Moonshane made the mount for me we tailored the design to put the eyepiece of the scope at a nice height for observing while standing, which is my preferred way.

@ Nick / Cotterless: Is that make up or Photoshop ? :smiley:

Thanks John. Interesting the about the weight.  I would like a bigger scope, but  am not sure how much use it would get if it were a lot heavier than the 250px. I like the idea of observing while standing. Even being on a chair can make the old back ache after  a while.

If that's the pic you took OF the Astrotrac, what was the pic you took WITH the Astrotrac???

Thanks. This was one of them. I stuck with a 50mm lens because I could not accurately polar align with there being no southern pole star.

Very pleased to come back with some nice images of the southern sky.

The LMC

post-15011-0-28214300-1409207053_thumb.j

Wish I could have got the Mount/scope to take the `selfie`; that way it would have looked nice and fully exposed, and I could have melted into the background................hey ho; Anyway this was my first night out under the stars for nearly five weeks, so I wasn`t too bothered how good (Bad) i looked!!

post-33714-0-78814000-1409576898_thumb.j

Archived