NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

as cool as Andromeda

deric

Looking at the galaxy in Andromeda with binoculars-sorry don't know the numbers, it might be M31but that's my favorite astronomy thing to do.  To me it's like listening to Led Zep I or II.  A mind expanding experience.  What's mind expanding about it is just realizing what it is and how far away it is.   I think about how far away the stars are but then there's this thing so far away I can't comprehend it and it's made of billions of stars and planets and other intelligent beings doing who knows what.  

And here we are specks upon specks in the incredibly large universe.   I was wondering if there is anything to observe that is as cool as M31?  Without a large telescope that is.  Please send your thoughts.   Thanks!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Deric and welcome to SGL.

I think its thoughts similar to whgat you mention that brings many of us into astronomy, certainly the case for me. 

Peering through an eyepiece your mind can wander far. Puts day to day life into perspective also.

Archived