Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice on light blocking screen...

Since all the legal and political work is going snail slow to sort out the streetlight, I decided just to build some sort of screen to block the glare.

However, the streetlight is quite high and to block it along with the other lights down the road (which are way more manageable) I need a screen at least 2-meter high and 2-3 meters wide.

I already bolted a hook 2.5 meters high on one side of the garden patio, but it seems that I need a solid pole to hook the other end of the screen. I used a long piece of wood, but it's bendy and I'm not quite the expert on which type of wood I need.

The ideal solution for me is a movable screen. Some sort of large frame where I can attach a tarp or whichever light material to and move it whichever position the telescope is.

Your thoughts and advice are highly appreciated.

post-27451-0-96088200-1405334021_thumb.j

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used a water proof canvas that covers my OB's (see signature) its light weight and reasonable cheap

Bear in mind this will act like a sail so in windy conditions you'll want to take it down, maybe a pole into the ground

http://ukfabricsonline.com/waterproof-fabric/black-sportswear-microfibre-fabric

I like the fabric, is it blackout or slightly transparent?

I'd change my observing spot to the other side of the garden (i.e. to the left hand fence). the street light will ruin a lot of what is that way anyway and being near the fence will help shield a little at least. then establish how high the screen would need to be (e.g. it could be lower if you observe from a seated position. and make one.

I made one like this http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/113007-observing-screen/

Sure. I tend to observe from the other end sometimes, but then I'll be facing another streetlight down the road. I guess I'm meaning to create some  a screen to contain the entire or most of the patio area.

What do you call those metallic wires that you can tighten?

Sure. I tend to observe from the other end sometimes, but then I'll be facing another streetlight down the road. I guess I'm meaning to create some  a screen to contain the entire or most of the patio area.

What do you call those metallic wires that you can tighten?

I call them metalic wires ;)

I just put an awning up for the mum in law or i wouldnt have thought of this silly idea. Attach it vertically to the wall. Would take seconds to wind in and out to shield the light. Bit pricey tho and probably look a bit weird.

Hi Emad, maybe something like what I've done? Next door are alway leaving their 300W outside light on so they can nip out for for a smoke so I got some tall bamboo screening. It doesn't cut all the light out but it helps and look nice too! :)

Maybe to make it more light proof some material backing could be added or it could be doubled up?

post-16129-0-98289700-1405357181_thumb.j

Scaffold poles are the answer, they grow up to 20 feet long. If you have a local scaffold merchant near hand, he may just have the length you want and will part with it for your hard earned cash. Set in concrete to a depth of around 2 1/2 feet with a plastic sleeve for easy pole removal, a cord pulley fitted at the top and a rope cleat near the bottom, some washing line, your screen, job done. Two poles can be used to the same effect with a screen any where you want place it :)

Street lighting and nuisance lighting are contentious issues on an astronomy forum and suggestions on how to 'fix' the situation sometimes defy common sense.

The moderation team would like to remind all posters that CRIMINAL DAMAGE IS ILLEGAL - do not post suggestions of criminal damage on SGL.

This includes air rifles, black paint, pointing lasers at the sensor, tampering with the electrics (you could die) and 'anything' else that prevent it from working.

Suggestions of illegal activity, even in jest,  concerning tampering with any nuisance lights will result in 'WITHOUT WARNING' sanctions from the moderation team.

If this is unclear or you feel you cannot comply with this request please do not post on this subject.

Many thanks

The SGL Moderation team.

Scaffold poles are the answer, they grow up to 20 feet long. If you have a local scaffold merchant near hand, he may just have the length you want and will part with it for your hard earned cash. Set in concrete to a depth of around 2 1/2 feet with a plastic sleeve for easy pole removal, a cord pulley fitted at the top and a rope cleat near the bottom, some washing line, your screen, job done. Two poles can be used to the same effect with a screen any where you want place it :)

Sounds a good idea , but not sure how many average non-scaffolder folk would lift a " twenty-one" vertically 2-1/2 feet without it toppling and causing mayhem in the backyard ...  :rolleyes:

Hi Emad, maybe something like what I've done? Next door are alway leaving their 300W outside light on so they can nip out for for a smoke so I got some tall bamboo screening. It doesn't cut all the light out but it helps and look nice too! :)

Maybe to make it more light proof some material backing could be added or it could be doubled up?

This will be ideal to raise the fence 40 cm which I need to block the edge of the light down the road. How do you fix these to a normal wooden fence?

This will be ideal to raise the fence 40 cm which I need to block the edge of the light down the road. How do you fix these to a normal wooden fence?

I'd thought of using bamboo screening myself, but haven't done so yet.   If I do, I'd thought of fixing 20 x 25mm treated timber to the fence posts, and fixing the bamboo to that.

I think that the bamboo screening needs some sort of support to stop it flopping around or breaking off in a breeze.

Best to mention politely to the neighbours first, and explain gently why you are doing this. Of course if it's not your fence, you are not entitled to do this.

But my back fence is my property, so an option for me.

Regards, Ed.

Mods.

I have little to add to the street light debate, save for a bit of moral support for those effected.

Could I respectfully suggest that you consider temporarily and publicly banning those who think that criminal damage is acceptable / amusing. To see the "Risk of Closure" banner going up on topics like this is a sad incitement on the SGL community.

Paul

Its a very tricky problem and I doubt one solution will suit everything. I ended up just trying to shield the light from my line of vision,

The best thing I used was a hat with a black veil, I did look a bit like a beekeeper but it worked well :laugh: I use a balaclava now that has a big peak on it

Archived